Chicken accident, maybe broken bones? What to do with her?

UPDATE!

Saturday I was able to move her cage in with the coop. The chickens free range the yard but they are with her from time to time, mostly interested in her good food selections. At least it is familiar.

I caught her standing up on Saturday.

Sunday morning she was standing yet again and this time she limped once towards me and then had enough.

This morning she limped towards me for 3 steps and stood while eating.. It appears that her leg leaves her body at an angle. I would almost think dislocated. Her leg doesn't look broken, no swelling and is straight. Perhaps also her pelvis is just badly bruised and the swelling is causing the crooked leg? I bet that she spends the rest of the day sitting.

I am in search of a local farm vet to see if they can look at her. It appears, she will make it! If I don't find someone, what is the chance of her having a happy life with a dislocated leg? Would her pain lesson as time went on? Will she be okay limping around?

I do not feel comfortable messing with it as I read some folks actually popped joints back into place.

I am following your progress with interest since I also have an injured chicken. Sasha's shoulder seems to be dislocated but she has been this way for 4 weeks now and seems to get along just fine. She is the largest of my young (16 weeks) flock of 7 and a leader of the pack-may even be a roo along with her sister, Myleah. I am hoping that she will continue to thrive and live a long life. Good luck with your gal.

My chicken with an injured leg seems to have adapted to hopping and occasionally lightly places her foot on the ground (no weight though). It's been about 2 weeks. My only concern is that she doesn't tend to roost or go in the coop at night.

How is your lady doing?

Last edited:
Yesterday I shut the coop run with all the chickens out of it and opened the cage door to see what she would do. She hopped out and seemed very pleased to be out of the cage. I left her in there for a bit and then had to catch her to put her back in for the night.

This morning I opened the door to feed her and she eagerly hopped right pass me, didn't even really have a chance to stop her. The other girls were around and didn't seem to notice her. I watched for a moment to make sure she wasn't under attack as before. She immediately hopped out to graze on some yard greens. I left her free as I figured she knows when to take it easy and good spirits go along way for recovery. I am pleased to see this, you could argue that she needs to be kept pinned up until fully recovered, but I am trying to raise happy chickens and she couldn't have been more eager to eat those greens.

It appears she is capable of hopping one footed almost as fast as she could run before. She is a great flyer so that will add to her safety. It may be that she is the first to go during a predator attack. She hasn't laid an egg since the first day, the freedom should put her in the mood, though I doubt she can get to the nesting boxes just yet and I may have to make a special low roost just for her... One step at a time.

Great to hear that this recovery can be used for comparison, the input from others on this thread have help us so much!

Here is a picture of what I have going on, just to help with the story a bit. The chicken house is in the back. They have outside access morning to night. Lots of grass, weeds, shrubs, woods type ground for them. About 1 acre fenced in.

Here is a picture of what I have going on, just to help with the story a bit. The chicken house is in the back. They have outside access morning to night. Lots of grass, weeds, shrubs, woods type ground for them. About 1 acre fenced in.
Great to hear that she is doing better. I assume this photo is not from today? That snow looks so cold!!!

Great to hear that she is doing better. I assume this photo is not from today? That snow looks so cold!!!

Thats right, from sometime early spring.

Whats going on with your chick? How did it happen? I am wondering what will happen tonight when it is time to go to roost. If you can see in the picture, i have a very long chicken ramp.. Doubt she can hop up that. But the large clean out door is open all summer and she could maybe fly in that way? It can not be seen in the picture above.

Our girl got her leg stuck when my husband was moving the coop/tractor. She has managed to get into the coop to lay, but prefers to lie underneath the coop at night. Don’t know why. I would put her in the coop at night if I could reach her but I can’t…

As for roosting, I have a roost in the outdoor run that she was caught sitting on, but it’s not very wide and she fell off when one of the kids surprised her. Maybe I will put a wider roost and see if she can roost on that.

Back
Top Bottom