Chicken accident, maybe broken bones? What to do with her?

I missed them going in last night so I couldn't see how she did it but i checked after dark and there she was in the coop on the roost. It dawned on me that getting down from that might be where she gets hurt. I guess though she will learn how to do it over time. Every morning the girls get overly excited waiting on me to open the door. This morning I could hear that they were pushing her back out of the way. When I went to let them out, she was hanging in the corner. She now has to deal with being the lowest chicken.

I totally forget what kind of chicken she is but from the beginning her and her sister have been the wildest. I think that has a lot to do with her ability to get around. She hopes around so quickly and can fly well over 100 feet in distance and I have seen her fly up on top of the house at about 15 feet high. I don't think my more chicken like breeds would be so mobile with the same injury. She is about 4.5 lbs full grown.

My roosts are 2x4's turned sideways.

She looks just like the australorps chicken but with considerable differences in size. Her eggs are small and her sister is blue. She is not a bantam.

Great to hear that she is integrateing back in the flock. Easier for everyone, and happier for her!

My injured girl was in the coop last night too!!! Great to see. She is still not putting full weight on it, but she is putting more weight on than 3 days ago (we were gone and a neighbour was taking care of them).

I also had 5 roosting - which for me is a great improvement. When I first got these chickens, they all huddled on the ground. Now I only two are prefering to stay on the ground! Maybe soon they will all roost?

Back
Top Bottom