Chicken acted dizzy, then died?

Bri416

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
Anyone want to play a new game of why my chicken died? I know we're not vets here, but maybe someone has a similar experience. 2 1/2 year old beautifully feathered, large, bright red-combed Barred Rock hen. One afternoon was walking slowly (not limping, just slow) and would often stick out one wing or the other to steady herself as if she was dizzy. Next morning was laying dead on the coop floor, no visible signs of anything wrong.

That's all the details I have. Hubby disposed of her so I didn't get a chance to feel her over for being egg-bound or anything else. Any best guesses? All 9 other hens (variety of breeds) have been acting just fine. Thanks!

Anyone want to play a new game of why my chicken died? I know we're not vets here, but maybe someone has a similar experience. 2 1/2 year old beautifully feathered, large, bright red-combed Barred Rock hen. One afternoon was walking slowly (not limping, just slow) and would often stick out one wing or the other to steady herself as if she was dizzy. Next morning was laying dead on the coop floor, no visible signs of anything wrong.

That's all the details I have. Hubby disposed of her so I didn't get a chance to feel her over for being egg-bound or anything else. Any best guesses? All 9 other hens (variety of breeds) have been acting just fine. Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

There's no way to know for sure unless a necropsy was performed.

To take a guess - 2 1/2yr old hen - likely she had a reproductive problem - cancer, tumors, EYP or internal laying. If she has a lot of fat, then it could have been Fatty Liver Disease or even a combination of FLD and Repro problems. But that would just be a guess:(

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

There's no way to know for sure unless a necropsy was performed.

To take a guess - 2 1/2yr old hen - likely she had a reproductive problem - cancer, tumors, EYP or internal laying. If she has a lot of fat, then it could have been Fatty Liver Disease or even a combination of FLD and Repro problems. But that would just be a guess:(
I never got an alert for this reply - so a belated thank you for your ideas!

Back
Top Bottom