Chicken acting abnormal... possibly pain in leg from former injury by a hawk?

Isidore777

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
One of my hens got injured by a hawk when she was 5 months old (she is now almost 2 years) and it healed, but she had a permanent limp. One of my family members may have noticed that it started to get a little worse... like she let the other chickens go to food before her, being left behind or pecked at. Now, just today, when I let them out to free range for a half hour, she did not come out with the others and I had to take her out of the pen. One of her wings seemed to hang a little and she remained laying down the whole time they were outside. She did not eat the grass nor accept the grass I handed to her. She kind of seemed a little tired. I am thinking the pain in her leg just increased but am kinda worried/anxious it might be something else? For the night, I arranged a separate place for her from the others with food and water. I am wondering if there a particular food or drink I should feed her? Or is there something I can do for her leg? Or if anyone thinks the cause is something else?

One of my hens got injured by a hawk when she was 5 months old (she is now almost 2 years) and it healed, but she had a permanent limp. One of my family members may have noticed that it started to get a little worse... like she let the other chickens go to food before her, being left behind or pecked at. Now, just today, when I let them out to free range for a half hour, she did not come out with the others and I had to take her out of the pen. One of her wings seemed to hang a little and she remained laying down the whole time they were outside. She did not eat the grass nor accept the grass I handed to her. She kind of seemed a little tired. I am thinking the pain in her leg just increased but am kinda worried/anxious it might be something else? For the night, I arranged a separate place for her from the others with food and water. I am wondering if there a particular food or drink I should feed her? Or is there something I can do for her leg? Or if anyone thinks the cause is something else?
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Does she still lay eggs?
Do you feel any swelling or bloat in the abdomen?
Is she crop emptying overnight?

If you can take her to a vet, that would be best.

It could be a number of things, the old injury is a possibility, but given her age, she may be suffering from an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors or Salpingitis. Any of these can cause symptoms like lameness/limping, lethargy, going off feed and weight loss.

Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water and give her some chopped egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

Back
Top Bottom