Chick with leg or hip pain

Rebecca Neely

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I have about a week old those island red pullet. The other day, i saw her falling forward a bunch after lifting her back up in the air and leaning forward too far (will attach a video link). We ruled out spraddle leg. We discovered a pink spot on her hip (will attach photo) and when we put light pressure to see if we could feel any abnormalities, she chirped really loud. She can’t rest because it only seems to be comfortable when she extends it fully. Please help. She’s hurt and i want to help her.
Link

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 54
To help her rest, could you try line a taller coffee cup with soft cheesecloth, thin towel, or paper towels, then tuck her into it? You'd have to hand feed and give her water several times a day, but I'd leave her to rest there for most of the day, let her out to stretch for a few minutes, then put her back in there.

She's obviously injured it somehow, but the way she tries to use it, to me, seems like nothing is broken, probably just very sore.

I would also get her some electrolytes to help with the stress caused by the pain.

To help her rest, could you try line a taller coffee cup with soft cheesecloth, thin towel, or paper towels, then tuck her into it? You'd have to hand feed and give her water several times a day, but I'd leave her to rest there for most of the day, let her out to stretch for a few minutes, then put her back in there.

She's obviously injured it somehow, but the way she tries to use it, to me, seems like nothing is broken, probably just very sore.

I would also get her some electrolytes to help with the stress caused by the pain.
Thank you!

little update for you seven though it’s been a hit! she’s doing great! not sure what went wrong but i left her alone for a while and she was able to gain strength and then i integrated her back with the flock and now she’s thriving limp free!!!!

Back
Top Bottom