First of all, treat for shock. You would be amazed how many times a chicken with a leg injury gets miraculously better after treating for shock which can often produce lameness all on its own. Give her a cup of tepid water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in.

Give her time to drink it, and then see how she is. Chances are she will have more strength and will try to stand. This is when you can make a more accurate appraisal of her possible injuries.

Note her stance. Is one leg splayed out to the side? Or is she holding it up under her belly? Feel both legs all along the length. Check for differences between them. This will tell you if something is out of place or if there is swelling and where the swelling is.

This article may be of some help. https://poultrydvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon
I gave her the water and she’s trying to stand but isn’t able to get up on her own that much without assistance her leg is going outwards and forwards while the other one is just forwards. Im feeling around now how should it feel?

Vitamin E is oil so it comes only in gel caps. Push the gel cap into the beak. She will swallow. The B-complex comes in various strength tablets. Give a tablet the same way as the gel cap. You buy these vitamins where they sell vitamins for people. Vitamins are the same no matter what animal or person they go into.

Vitamin E is oil so it comes only in gel caps. Push the gel cap into the beak. She will swallow. The B-complex comes in various strength tablets. Give a tablet the same way as the gel cap. You buy these vitamins where they sell vitamins for people. Vitamins are the same no matter what animal or person they go into.
I’m feeling around and I don’t feel much of a difference and can’t see one either because of all her feathers

Has she drunk the sugar water? Is she standing now on her own? How is her balance. Can you entice her to take a few steps so you can assess her mobility?
She’s drank the sugar water and his trying to stand but she’s sitting on her butt with her legs straight out so she can’t when I stand her up myself she falls down. I know she can move because I’ve placed her on one end of the brooder and then I had to leave the room and when I came back she was on the complete opposite end of it. When I pick her up she moves her legs in kind of a doggy paddle.

Get the vitamins started ASAP. Deficiencies are not uncommon, the B's can cause all kinds of neuro-muscular symptoms, curled toes and hock sitting are very common symptoms. The E is important and can also cause neurological symptoms.
If she wasn't seeing well, she may not have been eating well, or if she's a more docile bird she may have been kept from feeders more. The vitamins won't hurt anything, and may solve the issue.

Please get on with the dosing of the E and B vitamins. They can do no harm, and have the capacity to restore her to normal leg function. Do not wait to do this.

If she is able to "bicycle" her legs when held upright, she doesn't have a broken leg. It appears that she is simply weak due to vitamin deficiency and/or shock. The sugar water and vitamins are the very best thing you can do for this chicken right now.

Please get on with the dosing of the E and B vitamins. They can do no harm, and have the capacity to restore her to normal leg function. Do not wait to do this.

If she is able to "bicycle" her legs when held upright, she doesn't have a broken leg. It appears that she is simply weak due to vitamin deficiency and/or shock. The sugar water and vitamins are the very best thing you can do for this chicken right now.
Okay I’ll keep doing that! Thank you for the help :)

I walked into the garage this morning to find her acting dead and my barred rock rooster (who isn’t a bantam but we haven’t had any issues until now and I’m not even sure he did it but I’m moving them into separate containers anyways.) standing over/on her
I had this happen a few years ago with one of my bigger BCM roosters and a rather small Araucana hen.

Usually, she would run and hide from him ( there were more than 35 hens to choose from) but one day he grabbed and mounted her leaving her plastered to the ground with both legs spread to either side.

She was not able to get up on her own, but when I gathered her up and repositioned her legs then holding the femurs firmly in place for a while with my fingers at the hip joints, she recovered quickly and was able to walk and run normally the next day.

I’ve tried giving her the tablet and she won’t take it, could I mix it into here sugar water?

Back
Top Bottom