Chicken acting funny...crop problems?

Hi everyone, not sure what was up with our chicken, but she seems pretty much back to normal. She seemed pretty good before we even started the corid, so maybe she was just dehydrated. It had been in the mid to high 70s for awhile, and then dropped to 40s pretty suddenly, so maybe she just had a hard time with that. Anyway, we're going to finish out the 7 day course just in case. Thanks for everyone's input!!

Back again, she looks sick again. Today is day 6 of corid, so we will finish it out. We also have some antibiotics that we might start tomorrow just to see if that helps. We are going to start adding more ACV and electrolytes daily, it seemed like the electrolytes really helped. Any other suggestions? Her sister looks just fine! The only thing I can think is it was slightly colder last night, but still high 50s/60s. Thanks for your help!

Is her crop functioning properly? Check it a night when she goes to bed (roosting), then first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink. Nighttime crop should be full and by morning it should be empty/flat.

If it is still full in the a.m. then most likely her problem is impacted and/or sour crop.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

It looks like she's trying to throw up, what do you think?

It looks like she's trying to throw up, what do you think?
It does look like she has a full crop. What does it feel like?

I know that chickens can usually get the grit they need from the soil, but you may want to consider providing some poultry grit free choice - this is crushed granite that can be found at your local feed store.

Also, what type of food/treats do you feed? You may want to separate her for a day, this way you can monitor her food/water intake, her poop and observed her behavior. I would offer wet feed and plenty of water. See if the crop goes down. If the crop is functioning properly (empties overnight) then consider taking a fecal sample to your vet for testing of cocci, worms and bacteria.

Also - just to know - what dosage of Corid did you use?

I haven't felt it yet, she doesn't let us touch her. No treats, just layer feed, with free ranging around our yard for a few hours a day. We only have small weeds, nothing terribly tall. We live in an urban area. She's still pooping, maybe not quite as much as the other. I think it was 2 tsp/gallon of corid. I also noticed her kind of shaking her head/body like she was trying to get something out of the way or loose. And she had some fluid come out of her mouth a few times when she went to itch her underside..maybe that's throw up? We will try to feel it in the morning if she lets us. We gave her chicken starter during the day today. Do you think apple cider vinegar would be helpful or hurtful? I'm super hesitant to do anything that requires us touching her (like holding her upside down or massaging her) because she has zero tolerance for us touching her, except for the other week when she was so sick she didn't care. I'm afraid we will all startle each other and I might drop her or something.

This is her standing up. Anything notable?

If she is flighty the best way to check her over is well after dark when she is roosting. Birds can't see well in the dark and will be fairly docile. I have one that is a spaz even at night, so you will need to make sure you can get a firm hold of her.

I do not recommend holding her upside down, but massaging the crop in a downward motion is sometimes helpful. If you see her spitting up water, it can be due to crop issues or possibly over drinking. Either way, feeling the crop is really the only way to determine is she has a problem or not.

If she is flighty the best way to check her over is well after dark when she is roosting. Birds can't see well in the dark and will be fairly docile. I have one that is a spaz even at night, so you will need to make sure you can get a firm hold of her.

I do not recommend holding her upside down, but massaging the crop in a downward motion is sometimes helpful. If you see her spitting up water, it can be due to crop issues or possibly over drinking. Either way, feeling the crop is really the only way to determine is she has a problem or not.
Ditto Dat^^^

Isolating her overnight in a wire dog crate, with no food or water, so you can examine crop first thing in morning before feeding and watering again is a good idea too. I put smaller wire in bottom of crate then put tray underneath the crate so you can better observe her poops.
This can tell you a lot about how her system is functioning.

What and how exactly are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom