Chicken acting weird and keeps her eye closed, what's wrong?

6PeckinChickens

Previously User476933
May 5, 2017
Utah
I have a Bantam Chicken (unknown further) that is just a little over 3 months old. This morning when I went out to clean the coop I noticed that she was slowly "winking" her left eye, but would leave it closed for about 15 seconds. This evening when I went out to give the girls a treat, they all came running out except for her. I looked in the coop and she was on the floor sleeping, It took a loud "HEY" to wake her up. She came out and she wasn't opening her eye but for a few seconds the 30 minutes I was outside with them she only opened her eye twice for seconds at a time. I got her to take a couple bites of watermelon and eat some meal worms, but she still kept her eye closed. She even fell asleep standing up! She doesn't like to be touched, and I stroked her back and she didn't wake up until after the second stroke. None of the other girls are acting like this!

Her eye isn't weeping or anything. I pick up droppings out of their coop daily and they have pine shavings on the floor. I would like to do what is going to make her feel better ASAP, but the Hubby would like for me to treat her at home to save money. I am getting ready to order an ADOR1.

I attached a file of her with her eye while she was standing/sleeping. Any help/advise would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• Chick.jpg
    Chick.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 74
I have a Bantam Chicken (unknown further) that is just a little over 3 months old. This morning when I went out to clean the coop I noticed that she was slowly "winking" her left eye, but would leave it closed for about 15 seconds. This evening when I went out to give the girls a treat, they all came running out except for her. I looked in the coop and she was on the floor sleeping, It took a loud "HEY" to wake her up. She came out and she wasn't opening her eye but for a few seconds the 30 minutes I was outside with them she only opened her eye twice for seconds at a time. I got her to take a couple bites of watermelon and eat some meal worms, but she still kept her eye closed. She even fell asleep standing up! She doesn't like to be touched, and I stroked her back and she didn't wake up until after the second stroke. None of the other girls are acting like this!

Her eye isn't weeping or anything. I pick up droppings out of their coop daily and they have pine shavings on the floor. I would like to do what is going to make her feel better ASAP, but the Hubby would like for me to treat her at home to save money. I am getting ready to order an ADOR1.

I attached a file of her with her eye while she was standing/sleeping. Any help/advise would be appreciated!!

Are you sure she is not she is keeping her eyes closed because she does not feel well .She sounds like she is very lethargic. Does she have diarrhea? If you cannot entice her to eat you will have to force feed her a mixture that is easy to digest.I like to use applesauce as a base .Use electrolyte add extra calcium and some type of protein to entice her to eat .The vitamin c in the applesauce perks up appetite. I hope that helps.She also might need antibiotics.

Are you sure she is not she is keeping her eyes closed because she does not feel well .She sounds like she is very lethargic. Does she have diarrhea? If you cannot entice her to eat you will have to force feed her a mixture that is easy to digest.I like to use applesauce as a base .Use electrolyte add extra calcium and some type of protein to entice her to eat .The vitamin c in the applesauce perks up appetite. I hope that helps.She also might need antibiotics.
It's just her left eye. She ate fine this morning, and this evening took a couple bites of watermelon. She spunked up and ate meal worms as best as she could with one eye, I had to hold them in my hand for her.

As far as her bowel movements, I wasn't out there to see what dropping was hers. I work Graves and plan to hang out with her tomorrow, so I will have that answer then. Also, the girls drink probiotics with electrolytes in their water, is that enough or should I do something different? She has an appetite, I think that it was difficult for her to see it. When I held the meal worms in my hand she ate them, she just wasn't as aggressive.

I am wondering if she may have a scratch or something on her eye. I think this because I am not seeing her nictating membrane on that eye. But that doesn't answer her heavy sleeping. I know that she is the one that is trying to be the most dominant......

My hens often fall asleep standing up with one eye open and one eye closed. One hen did it so much, i got worried. She may have a scratch in her eye. My hens are normal and they do it all the time

My hens often fall asleep standing up with one eye open and one eye closed. One hen did it so much, i got worried. She may have a scratch in her eye. My hens are normal and they do it all the time
I thought that she could have had a scratch on her eye. She didn't do it at all the next day, so I really don't think that it was a scratch. Maybe she was that tired? I dunno, silly chicken. She's doing well now, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

probably, just my thoughts, a weird chicken thing that she does. Probably not of any concern but it would be wise just to keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom