Chicken activities?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cheekon, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Anyone have any ideas on how i can keep my chickens active so they don't start peaking out each others feathers?

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Well, I only have 3 chickens, but their run is pretty big for them, I'd say 6 ft by 15 ft so they have alot of space to play. I also have three perches in the run and I always see them jumping on and off during the day. Some people hang a suet feeder with goodies in it for them to jump up and peck at.

I also have a tarp over a section of it so on rainy days they have a dryish spot to hang out. How about a plastic bin for dry sand for them to dust bathe in?

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    More space.

Other things to peck at (e.g. vegetables or garden weeds, ideally fed in a manner that makes 'em hard to eat rapidly so they last longer).

Different coop or run 'furniture' (things to hop up on, etc.).

Good luck,

Pat

4. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Thanks a ton! [​IMG]

I'm hoping this will help my hens from peaking my polishes crest when i get her.

Wish me luck! [​IMG]

5. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    If you cut a spaghetti sqash in half & chuck it in there, they'll have fun picking away at it.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are pecking and eating feathers, also consider upping protein in their diet. Since it is a polish getting pecked, it may also be a dominance thing where the polish cannot see to get out of the way before a peck. If that is a case, a haircut or a trim or a hair tie to keep it up so she can see may also help out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by