Chicken activities?

Cheekon

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
NY
Anyone have any ideas on how i can keep my chickens active so they don't start peaking out each others feathers?

Well, I only have 3 chickens, but their run is pretty big for them, I'd say 6 ft by 15 ft so they have alot of space to play. I also have three perches in the run and I always see them jumping on and off during the day. Some people hang a suet feeder with goodies in it for them to jump up and peck at.

I also have a tarp over a section of it so on rainy days they have a dryish spot to hang out. How about a plastic bin for dry sand for them to dust bathe in?

More space.

Other things to peck at (e.g. vegetables or garden weeds, ideally fed in a manner that makes 'em hard to eat rapidly so they last longer).

Different coop or run 'furniture' (things to hop up on, etc.).

Good luck,

Pat

Thanks a ton!
woot.gif

I'm hoping this will help my hens from peaking my polishes crest when i get her.

Wish me luck!
fl.gif

If you cut a spaghetti sqash in half & chuck it in there, they'll have fun picking away at it.

If they are pecking and eating feathers, also consider upping protein in their diet. Since it is a polish getting pecked, it may also be a dominance thing where the polish cannot see to get out of the way before a peck. If that is a case, a haircut or a trim or a hair tie to keep it up so she can see may also help out.

Back
Top Bottom