Chicken adopted duck eggs

Odyssey88

Chirping
Jun 4, 2016
So my muscovy duck layed a clutch of eggs and about 2 weeks before hatch day, a racoon attacked her and she abandoned the nest. 5 days later I went to take out the nest and eggs (most eaten) 2 of them, however, where still alive after I candled them and saw movement. So I put the eggs under one of my broody hens to see if they can survive. It's now time for the lockdown if the eggs (they should hatch it 3 days now unless the 5 days they wernt incubated makes the time longer) Anyway, I was wondering if my hen will know not to turn them anymore because they where already more then half way through growing and if she dosnt, will it cause the ducklings to die if she continues to turn them? I dont have much faith in there survival, because of the circumstances, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to have at least one of the duckling survive

Birds don't lockdown. They turn their eggs, leave the nest to take breaks, and treat every day about the same as any other... until the chicks start emerging from the shells. We lockdown our incubators so that the temperature and humidity remain constant. Automatic egg turners may be removed so that hatched chicks are not injured. The hen turning the eggs would not kill them.

Birds don't lockdown. They turn their eggs, leave the nest to take breaks, and treat every day about the same as any other... until the chicks start emerging from the shells. We lockdown our incubators so that the temperature and humidity remain constant. Automatic egg turners may be removed so that hatched chicks are not injured. The hen turning the eggs would not kill them.

Don't worry...the hen will know what to do.

Just for your peace of mind, remember that Muscovy eggs take about 35 days to hatch.

The only advice I have is to separate the hen from her ducklings before the ducklings get bigger than her. They wouldn't hurt her on purpose, but when they are doing the duck stomp stampede she could be run over. Also, if your Muscovy ducklings are boys, they may imprint on her enough to prefer a chicken wife instead of a duck wife.

This is my Nankin hen with a Delaware and a Fawn and White runner duck. She was a good mom to both of them at the same time!
mo-nankin-single-comb-rose-comb-hatching-eggs-21876647.jpg

So my muscovy duck layed a clutch of eggs and about 2 weeks before hatch day, a racoon attacked her and she abandoned the nest. 5 days later I went to take out the nest and eggs (most eaten) 2 of them, however, where still alive after I candled them and saw movement. So I put the eggs under one of my broody hens to see if they can survive. It's now time for the lockdown if the eggs (they should hatch it 3 days now unless the 5 days they wernt incubated makes the time longer) Anyway, I was wondering if my hen will know not to turn them anymore because they where already more then half way through growing and if she dosnt, will it cause the ducklings to die if she continues to turn them? I dont have much faith in there survival, because of the circumstances, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to have at least one of the duckling survive
The incubation period will definitely be longer due to the 5 non incubated days. It's honestly amazing they're alive. Like the others said, hens don't "lockdown". She'll do just fine. Let us know if they hatch! Muscovies do take 35 days

Thank you everyone for your help. I did a homemade incubator a couple of years ago with a styrofoam cooler and all the eggs hatched. Of course I looked up a lot on the turning and everything. I just assumed hens stopped turning there eggs close to hatch day too lol. I do know muscovy duck eggs take 35 while other duck eggs take 28 and chicken eggs take about 21. Tuesday the 7th would be there normal hatch day, I'll let you all know if and when they hatch. I live in FL and it's about 90° here every day. Maybe that's the reason the 2 eggs survived the non incubation time. I candled them Friday and still saw movement, so wish the little guys luck. I'll keep you all updated.

Attachments

• 20200705_091429.jpg
    20200705_091429.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom