Chicken (and new member!) Introductions!

Pippys Place

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
Maritimes - Canada
Hello! New member here and guardian of three backyard, urban chickens. Sorry for this long post! Got into chickens this past summer when visiting a friend’s farm and rescued a tiny, fluffy yellow, 3-week-old chick who was being pecked on and wasn’t expected to live. Well - she did live, and two weeks later I decided she needed a friend. Enter a similar-aged Rhode Island Red to the household!
Being so new to this I wasn’t aware of anything really: turns out my original little gal was a “meat” chicken - a broiler - though it pains me to use that term now. She grew & thrived & had a wonderful summer. She free-ranged in the grass, took her dust baths, had lots of love and attention and even grew to lay eggs! Unfortunately her genetics were insurmountable and she succumbed to what I believe was a heart attack two weeks ago, with me present at the time in the coop. Though very sad, I do know she lived a wonderful life, though only six months, and she led me down a new path.

Well, my other gal found herself alone & again I went in search of friends after a couple of weeks had passed. Enter a b&w Cochin and a silkie mix to my tiny flock. I’m hoping and praying for a happy transition after the pecking order is established. Any suggestions would be so welcome! They are three different sizes, my original gal being the largest. She squawked so much on their first day together that I swear she was hoarse that night! My coop is huge for three hens - it’s basically a mini barn - with five nesting boxes, window with ledge and lots of places to jump and roost, as well as a small door leading to an outdoor enclosure. Will they eventually get along??!!

:celebrate I am so happy you’re here! :welcome
You are obviously a wonderful flock owner. Keeping a broiler alive long enough to lay is not easy! You certainly did give her a great life. She was so lucky!
As Sourland mentioned, your new group should be fine with all that room. Perhaps you should add another dozen chickens to be sure though. :thumbsup
We hope you make yourself at home here, and share your wisdom with others. Of course we want lots of pictures!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry about the meat bird. :hugs Its tough to keep them alive long, however it can be done on a starvation diet. (They gain weight very easily on little food)

Integration should go easily since your flock is small. Keep an eye on all of them for a couple of weeks. If there is blood shed, you may need to cage the bully for awhile.

Good luck and welcome to our community!

:celebrate I am so happy you’re here! :welcome
You are obviously a wonderful flock owner. Keeping a broiler alive long enough to lay is not easy! You certainly did give her a great life. She was so lucky!
As Sourland mentioned, your new group should be fine with all that room. Perhaps you should add another dozen chickens to be sure though. :thumbsup
We hope you make yourself at home here, and share your wisdom with others. Of course we want lots of pictures!
You're such an enabler :clap

Back
Top Bottom