Chicken (and new member!) Introductions!

Hi all, well it’s been nearly a week and the ‘integration’ continues. Seems like my newbies spend all their time in the nesting boxes, I suspect to avoid my long-term gal who is being not so welcoming. This morning one of them was stuck behind the nest box divider - I imagine she was trying to get away (all okay though).
I’ve read that nesting boxes should only be used for laying, not for “hanging out”... maybe a curtain over these during the day would prevent the hiding and therfore encourage more interaction and (hopefully) eventual friendship?!?!??

As long as they are not sleeping in the boxes at night, I would not close them off and allow the new birds places to escape. Integration takes months and during this time the new birds need their own space. Give them all time and don't force anything. They will eventually work into the flock, but not over night. Good luck! :)

As long as they are not sleeping in the boxes at night, I would not close them off and allow the new birds places to escape. Integration takes months and during this time the new birds need their own space. Give them all time and don't force anything. They will eventually work into the flock, but not over night. Good luck! :)
Thanks! They are sleeping in the boxes at night ...hmmmm

They really need to roost at night with the others, even if it's off to one side. I would block off the boxes at night but make sure to open them up in the morning. What I do with new birds is go up at roosting time and get everyone on the bar and quickly turn off the lights. Normally they won't jump down in the dark. After a week of making them roost up, they will get up on their own.

I have some insecure pullets and one cockerel who routinely escape to the nest boxes at roost time. I wait until full on dark then go out to do lock up and head count. I remove each bird from the boxes and place them on the roosts where there is space. I sometimes have to shield them for a few seconds until the neighbors settle down. But they cannot see well enough to do more than a few blind pecks. Everyone stays roosted for the night and I have clean boxes.
I'll continue to do that until everyone is confident enough to roost on their own.

I have some insecure pullets and one cockerel who routinely escape to the nest boxes at roost time. I wait until full on dark then go out to do lock up and head count. I remove each bird from the boxes and place them on the roosts where there is space. I sometimes have to shield them for a few seconds until the neighbors settle down. But they cannot see well enough to do more than a few blind pecks. Everyone stays roosted for the night and I have clean boxes.
I'll continue to do that until everyone is confident enough to roost on their own.
Thanks everyone! So much I have to learn!! I have to nudge all three into some different behaviours for sure!

Back
Top Bottom