Chicken and rice..need help finding an old recipe

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
My stepmother use to make THE BEST chicken and rice Ive ever had. I wish we were still on speaking terms, as I would love to get the recipe from her. All the chicken and rice recipes Ive found is nothing like what she made. Nothing creamy or gooey basically just chicken and rice. All I can remember is she would boil the chicken, not a whole chicken either, mainly the breast and maybe a few other pieces. Then all I can remember was the rice being cooked in the same pan. Im not sure if she dumped the water out and put fresh water in and then added the rice and let it cook. I have no idea.
idunno.gif

Does anyone have a recipe that is sorta like this? Or know how to make it using only one pot? I would love ya forever if you could help me find this recipe.
bow.gif

I don't know if this is the same or not, but it sounds similar (based on what you are describing):

Easy Chicken Rice:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
3/4 cup instant rice, uncooked
1 chopped green bell pepper (optional)
2 cups of chicken broth (Or 2C water + 2 Chicken Bouillon cubes)

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the chicken sections in the oil for 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
Add the rice and green bell pepper, if desired, and saute for 3 minutes, or until slightly browned. Add the broth and stir together well. Bring this to a boil, then add the chicken, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.

----

Go ahead and tweak it if you want to, like instead of browning the chicken, just wait and throw it in the boiling broth and rice, etc.
smile.png

Quote:
This one sound very similar to what she made. But would you use instant rice for this recipe? I would think it would overcook the rice. I would think you would want to use the regular rice that takes 30 mins or so. I will have to try this one out. Thanks

Quote:
Does this one use creamy of something? I know the recipe Im looking for doesnt have creamed of anything. Im not a fan of anything creamed.

my gram cooks the rice in the chicken broth with some salt, pepper, parsley, a little butter and chopped carrot and celery. Mix together with chicken. Delish.

(now you made me hungry for this....just may be on the menu for supper)

Last edited:
I am sure this is not the recipe that you are looking for....but it is DELISH!!!!!!!

6-8 pieces of chicken or pork chops
2 boxes of Uncle Bens rice with 23 seasonings (is a small orange box - look for the seasonings statement on the box)
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup

Boil the water ( minus 1 C. ) for the rice according to the pkg directions - add rice and mushroom soup - stir together ( I use a whisk)

Do not cook it - pour it into a large baking pan ( I use an oversized 9X13 pyrex)

Lay chicken or pork chops on top - cover with foil and bake for an hour @ 350F

This is a family favorite!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
This is a little different than what you describe but it's very creamy and good.

Easy Chicken and Rice
Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
· 1 chicken cut into serving pieces
· 2 tablespoons cooking oil
· 2 cups uncooked white rice
· 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
· 4 cups water
· 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
· 2 cups frozen onion, celery and pepper seasoning mix
· 2 cups frozen corn
· 1 cup frozen peas

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Brown chicken pieces in the oil, in a nonstick skillet. Place chicken in the bottom of a 9x13 inch-baking dish.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cover and seal TIGHTLY with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Enjoy!

We take either a whole chicken or 2-3 chicken breast, season with salt and pepper and boil.
After the chicken is done we take it out of the pot to de-bone and put about 2 cups
of long grain rice in the same pot with the chicken broth and cook it.(Sometimes we have to add
just a little water to the pot.) When the rice is almost done we then add the bonless chicken
pieces to the pot and cook until the rice is done.

Do you ever make Risotto? It's super easy and super creamy and you can put whatever you like into it. I make it a lot and I just use the plain old medium grain rice from the grocery store and it works just fine.

Boil your chicken with onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and chopped carrots....This is what I like you can use whatever you like. I use chicken bullion in place of salt to kick the flavor up a notch...lol

Remove the chicken from the pot and put it in a bowl to cool...Strain the vegetable out of the broth and put them to the side...don't throw them away.

Saute your rice...I do 2 or 3 cups...until it's just starting to brown. Then add a ladle of the hot chicken broth and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Keep adding broth a little at a time and stirring until it's absorbed and your rice is cooked. Then add 1/2 a stick of butter and a big handful of grated Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Pull the chicken off the bone and add it to the rice along with the cooked vegetables. Stir it all together, I like to serve it with some English peas on the side. It is sooo creamy and good!

Back
Top Bottom