Chicken and the neighbors

ginormous chicken

Songster
9 Years
Jan 18, 2011
Elverta, California
So yesterday, I went out and noticed I couldn't find my Bantam OE hen. I was worried and I didn't see a carcus; what was I to do but sigh and go back into the house. The neighbor next door, who I don't know very well knocked on my door and let it be known that there was a chicken in her yard. Off I went, to go pick up the chicken. It took me about 20 min. to catch this old English bantam because she was in the shrubs and refused to get out.

If this were the end of the story all would be well. The neighbor, who was quite a spry old lady made it known she didn't like chickens. Also, she made it known that she pretty much was like Gladyis from the old "Bewitched" and was watching our house. She really didn't say that, but told me what she saw happening at my house. Like me calling my dogs, when we were burning and cutting our trees down etc. She basically expressed her displeasure. All I can say is: thank God it is the country and I can keep as many chickens as I want!

So here is the question: what do you all do to keep your chicken from going over the fence? She told me that the BC Maran was bullying the OE Bantam (no surprise there) Is there a secret I should know about?

you could put her on a tether, but it's sad to tie up a pullet... or, clip one of her wings... she'll get away from the bully bird, but won't fly over a gate...

or do what i would do...

get one of these...

Quote:
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

i keep my chickens from going over the fence by keeping them all penned, with roofing, hardware cloth, or aviary netting over their runs. That may not be practical if you have a large lot. But that's what i do. i have neighbors with cats and dogs and don't want to risk any of my kids getting hurt.

give the neighbor 1/2 a dozen eggs. Visit and wave, often. Tell her you are glad that she is aware what is going on in the neighborhood. She is bored and lonely, that is why she is watching you so closely. Give it a try, often times it will really help. She either will think you are too dumb to argue with, or she really is lonely.

Mrs. K :

give the neighbor 1/2 a dozen eggs. Visit and wave, often. Tell her you are glad that she is aware what is going on in the neighborhood. She is bored and lonely, that is why she is watching you so closely. Give it a try, often times it will really help. She either will think you are too dumb to argue with, or she really is lonely.

This could work.
She might need a friend, and who knows...if you introduce her to some of your nice chickens you could convert her. It would give her some happiness during the day if she is really that bored!​

Mrs. K :

I like this advice. This is pretty much what I do with a neighbor of ours that drives us nuts. Kill 'em with kindness I say. And not to point out the obvious - she deserves not to have someone else's animals in her yard. Mine go over the fence occasionally and I cringe and try to find ways to keep them at home.​

Back
Top Bottom