Chicken and the neighbors

Gumbii that is a hysterical video!! Wow, what a roo!

Ginormous Chicken- If you lived in Yucca Valley, I'd ask if you lived next door to my grandma. LOL. I like some of the suggestions made to make friends/peace with her. I bet a freshly hatched fuzzy butt would change her heart. Give her a silky. Who could hate silkies?
jumpy.gif

Those OEGB are good fliers! Perhaps some netting just near the fence would help, or clip the wings. I don't let mine out. I know I'd lose them in an instant. Only the big fat girls get to free range. They're not too fast, and can't get off the ground very far.
D.gif

Mrs. K :

give the neighbor 1/2 a dozen eggs. Visit and wave, often. Tell her you are glad that she is aware what is going on in the neighborhood. She is bored and lonely, that is why she is watching you so closely. Give it a try, often times it will really help. She either will think you are too dumb to argue with, or she really is lonely.

I agree. It's hard to be crabby with someone that is so kind that they give you free eggs. Next time you venture into town, ask her if she would like to go with you or if she needs you to pick something up for her. Get her on your side, we all need people like this working FOR us.​

im lucky that my neighbors love watching my ducks swim in their pond and my chickens scratching in their yard. my other neighbors have chickens too so if they complain their would be something very weird going on.

Thanks for everyones advice. Come this spring when the hens are laying more consistently, I will send some eggs over. You guys are right. She is probably just lonely. I know she doesn't leave the house much next to working at Walmart. I will clip the OE bantam's wings if she keeps flying over. Who knows... killing her with kindness can only improve my own karma right?
wink.png

You have a live sitcom happening in your own front yard. How lucky is that? I agree with all of the advice given. If you are kind to her, you'll be doing the right thing no matter what she comes up with. And if your bird gets out again, odds are she'll know where to find it. A "chicken security guard" so to speak.

I like the giving eggs idea, I give our neighbor lady eggs and she gives us lettuce, carrots and arugula from her garden- also keeps her from complaining about the noisy morning chicken chatter...
wink.png

You might also consider raising your fence, maybe with some chicken wire, or galvanized wire- even just running a couple lines of thick gauge wire 5"-6" from the top of the fence may deter her from trying to fly over.
Good luck!

I had OEGBs and they went over the fence all the time. They were roos so I ended up selling them. Haven't had any bantams go over since those. But my LF white leghorn hen Iona is another story.... Clipped wing and she can still fly over the fence. She's been caught by the neighbors shizuh (sp?) and lost a few feathers. Is scared to death of the dog but still goes over the fence...

AC

i plan to give my neighbors eggs once my LF roosters starts crowing... LOL...

and you guy's never heard of longcrowers... what are their real names...? denizli...??? i think so... i might get one just for kicks and giggles...

Quote:
Denizli and Tomaru roos are long crowers
love.gif

are they available over here in the states...? all over youtube they're in foreign countries... i'm thinking about seriously getting one...

Back
Top Bottom