Chicken Antibiotic Recommendations?

The first two got their drench earlier this morning. They did not like it. I did notice when I opened their beaks, they are getting alittle bit of a Oral Yeast Infection. Makes me think they may have an Immune Imbalance, or something. I am planning on stocking up on probiotics, for them soon.

Last edited:
Welp, another young bird of mine has caught whatever is going around. One of my Taiwans. She's got a weeping eye.View attachment 3651896View attachment 3651897
That's not a good sign:(

For Amoxicillin I'd give it 2X a day.

Seeing thrush or some type of oral/yeast infection is not good, especially coupled with respiratory symptoms.
Is there any odor?

Even though the others are exposed to whatever is going around, you may be able to limit the spread if you have a way to separate out the ones with symptoms.
For probiotics, if you have a quality plain yogurt or buttermilk- you can stir a little into the feed to help until you find a different product if you wish.

Let us know if the one's being treated with Amoxicillin improve, you may need to choose a different antibiotic.

That's not a good sign:(

For Amoxicillin I'd give it 2X a day.

Seeing thrush or some type of oral/yeast infection is not good, especially coupled with respiratory symptoms.
Is there any odor?

Even though the others are exposed to whatever is going around, you may be able to limit the spread if you have a way to separate out the ones with symptoms.
For probiotics, if you have a quality plain yogurt or buttermilk- you can stir a little into the feed to help until you find a different product if you wish.

Let us know if the one's being treated with Amoxicillin improve, you may need to choose a different antibiotic.
Okay, thanks.

No odor.

Unfortunately I'm no longer gonna have a seperation area, since I'm gonna need the prefab for some meaties I'm moving out tomorrow.
I don't have either yogurt, or buttermilk currently.

Will update on if they get better.

@casportpony
Update:
I got a feeding tube, & syringe so treatment doesn't take as long.

The pullet has improved further. Still alittle gunky sounding in the throat(barely noticable), & has a small cough here, & there but not as near as often.

The cockerel has made some improvement, but is still quite gunky sounding, & has coughs occasionally. Not as bad as he was, but not as improved as his half sister.

The Taiwan Pullet was a false alarm. I think she just had something irritating her eye.

Also, the pullet, cockerel's plaques in their mouths seems to have been bacterial also, those cleared up with treatment. Not sure if it has connection to this illness, or not.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Strep Throat, since the lungs functioned normally just the throat seems infected by this, but the weeping eyes at the beginning seems like it wouldn't be connected to a strep infection, unless it's different in poultry.

Almost forgot to update again, but I see no one has seen my first.

Pullet is 99% better. Cockerel still is pretty gunky, & I'm now out of the antibiotic. Ran out a few days ago.

One of my Cornish X caught it, she's gunky, & coughing. Seems airborne since they had no contact with the two birds that were/are sick. They'll be getting butchered soon, so I'm probably not gonna treat them due to butcher date being really close.

Back
Top Bottom