Chicken Antibiotic Recommendations?

Okay, so do this for 5-7 days, or 1 time?
Sorry you have sick birds :(

I'd follow Kathy's directions for dosing. For Amoxicillin, I would give for 7-10 days.

Amoxicillin may help with respiratory symptoms, depending on what you're dealing with. If it's Mycoplasma, then the Amoxicillin won't be effective since MG has no cell wall. Tylosin or Tiamulin would be better for MG.

Is there any bad odor? If so, then it may be Coryza. A sulfa antibiotic would be effective, it can be used along with Tylosin.

If there's drainage from the eyes, keep that flushed out with saline a couple of times a day. You can make your own homemade saline - mix 2tsp table salt with 4 cups boiled or distilled water, use this to rinse out eyes.

Fluffing up and shivers - what's the poop looking like? Can you provide them with a little bit of heat on cool nights to help them regulate their body temps?
Sometimes when sick, other things like Coccidiosis can become a problem, so keep watch on the poop for mucous, off colors, etc. You know what you're looking for.

I do agree with Kathy, Baytril is a very good medication to use and it's effective for most things. I understand the hesitation for not wanting to use it since it's banned for use in poultry. A lot depends on what you plan on using the birds for. If you plan on processing them for food, then observing a waiting period after treatment is a very good idea. Same with eggs. But if they don't improve, then you may want to consider finding some Baytril and giving it a try if these are birds you want to save.

I'd follow Kathy's directions for dosing. For Amoxicillin, I would give for 7-10 days.

Amoxicillin may help with respiratory symptoms, depending on what you're dealing with. If it's Mycoplasma, then the Amoxicillin won't be effective since MG has no cell wall. Tylosin or Tiamulin would be better for MG.

Is there any bad odor? If so, then it may be Coryza. A sulfa antibiotic would be effective, it can be used along with Tylosin.

If there's drainage from the eyes, keep that flushed out with saline a couple of times a day. You can make your own homemade saline - mix 2tsp table salt with 4 cups boiled or distilled water, use this to rinse out eyes.

Fluffing up and shivers - what's the poop looking like? Can you provide them with a little bit of heat on cool nights to help them regulate their body temps?
Sometimes when sick, other things like Coccidiosis can become a problem, so keep watch on the poop for mucous, off colors, etc. You know what you're looking for.

I do agree with Kathy, Baytril is a very good medication to use and it's effective for most things. I understand the hesitation for not wanting to use it since it's banned for use in poultry. A lot depends on what you plan on using the birds for. If you plan on processing them for food, then observing a waiting period after treatment is a very good idea. Same with eggs. But if they don't improve, then you may want to consider finding some Baytril and giving it a try if these are birds you want to save.
I've got warm straw bedding in the prefab for them. I can't put lights out there.
I'm not new to Coccidiosis, dealt with it over the years.

Thread 'Chicken Antibiotic Recommendations?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-antibiotic-recommendations.1600288/

Symptoms listed. No diarrhea, & no odor to the face.

7-10 days? Thought it was 5-7?

7-10 days? Thought it was 5-7?
Your package says 5-10 days.

If you had tablets or capsules, I would recommend 10 days, but it's really up to you.
Even with humans, most Doc's prescribe Amoxicillin for up to 14 days depending on what condition is being treated.

1696389111717.png

If you had tablets or capsules, I would recommend 10 days, but it's really up to you.
Even with humans, most Doc's prescribe Amoxicillin for up to 14 days depending on what condition is being treated.

View attachment 3651453
I know what the packet says, I was talking about the Treatment time Casportpony said.

View attachment 3651453
Never mind, I somehow misread their numbers, & confused myself.

@casportpony, I just want confirmation on the drench time. You gave me how many days for treatment with the waterer, but didn't specify for the drench.
How many days with the drench, or is it the same?
New to the Antibiotic thing.

Welp, another young bird of mine has caught whatever is going around. One of my Taiwans. She's got a weeping eye.
20231004_153153.jpg
20231004_153145.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom