Chicken Antibiotic Recommendations?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
What are the best antibiotics for chickens, dosages, & withdrawal periods?

Two young birds of mine(None of the adults), have picked up an odd respiratory illness. A, 6 month old, & a 4 ½ month old.

Symptoms include for the worst one: Rails/crackling, weeping eyes(no foam/bubbles), occasional fluffing up, occasional gasping, occasional shivers, coughs, & foaming out the mouth/bubbly drool.
No odor, no diarrhea.

Least severe one just has Rails/crackling, occasional gasp, & cough.

Anyone know what this maybe?

Personally, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin), and I would give 20 mg/kg by injection in the breast once a day *or* 15mg/kg orally twice a day for 3-5 days. If they did not show significant improvement by day three, I would stop giving it. But Baytril (enrofloxacin) is prohibited for use in poultry. You can read about why it's prohibited here:
Prohibited Drugs and the Reasons They are Prohibited

Even though it's prohibited, many vets do prescribe it. Some vets, like my vet, will have you sign a waiver saying that you will not eat birds or eggs from birds being treated with it.

If you decide you want to buy some, google "Baytril for birds" for the oral liquid, or Enroxil 10% for the injectable. The injectable can be given orally.

If you want to know exactly what disease you're dealing with, have them tested:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

If it's mycoplasma, you could try Tylan (tylosin). The dose is 17 mg per pound three times a day.

Personally, I would use Baytril (enrofloxacin), and I would give 20 mg/kg by injection in the breast once a day *or* 15mg/kg orally twice a day for 3-5 days. If they did not show significant improvement by day three, I would stop giving it. But Baytril (enrofloxacin) is prohibited for use in poultry. You can read about why it's prohibited here:
Prohibited Drugs and the Reasons They are Prohibited

Even though it's prohibited, many vets do prescribe it. Some vets, like my vet, will have you sign a waiver saying that you will not eat birds or eggs from birds being treated with it.

If you decide you want to buy some, google "Baytril for birds" for the oral liquid, or Enroxil 10% for the injectable. The injectable can be given orally.

If you want to know exactly what disease you're dealing with, have them tested:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

If it's mycoplasma, you could try Tylan (tylosin). The dose is 17 mg per pound three times a day.
Would an Amoxicillin work? I don't want to use something that's prohibited in poultry.

Google amoxicillin for fish 250 mg.

Yes. Not sure how much. Call them.
I did, & I found fish Amoxi. Just unsure how big the bottles are.

I also forgot, I do have Amoxicillin 10% powder that can be mixed in water. Never used, received by mistake when I ordered the pills.

I hate calling, but okay.

I did, & I found fish Amoxi. Just unsure how big the bottles are.
Get the 250 mg tablets. They come in 500 mg, and those are too hard to dose.

I also forgot, I do have Amoxicillin 10% powder that can be mixed in water. Never used, received by mistake when I ordered the pills.
That could work. 10% means that 1 gram of powder has 100 mg of amoxicillin. How much do your sick birds weigh?

I hate calling, but okay.
Calling?

Get the 250 mg tablets. They come in 500 mg, and those are too hard to dose.

That could work. 10% means that 1 gram of powder has 100 mg of amoxicillin. How much do your sick birds weigh?

Calling?
All I can find is Capsules. Can't find tablets.

I'll have to weigh them first. I could do the water treatment if nothing else really.

I'm awkward over the phone:oops:.

Back
Top Bottom