Chicken appeared in my yard

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TyroneKFC, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TyroneKFC

TyroneKFC New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    [​IMG]What kind of rooster is this? It appeared in my yard. (I'm in mid-south florida). It has really long spurs. I don't know anything about chickens and I've never had any.

Also, if I move his food will he crow somewhere else?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks like a brown Leghorn rooster/or a cross of it (no white earlobes present). The Leghorn breed is an excellent egg layer. He will crow wherever he is, that's what roosters do! You could advertise on a lost and found website (craigslist? I'm not in the US but I have heard plenty of people talking about that website on here). Do you know of anyone near you that keeps chickens? He must have escaped from somewhere locally, as chickens don't usually go very far. Unless he was dumped.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you google - native florida chickens- scroll down and look at "images of florida chickens" you will see several roosters that look just like him.

He sure is purdy! !!!!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking he's a feral bird, it's my understanding Florida has them breeding wild.

5. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    [​IMG]SEND HIM BACK FROM WERE HE CAME FROM!!! That is a American game bird! They are mean and wild at times they were breed to kill other roosters and defend there selfs! I had one he busted my Gradma's leg wile walking in the yard and ripped my back up when I was getting the eggs!

P.S. I Feel Sorryful For You Now! Hope Nothing Bad Happens To You! [​IMG] Sorry If I scared you the truth is the truth.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Looks like a mix breed rooster.

PS not every game rooster is a man fighter, any breed of chicken can have man fighters in them [​IMG]

7. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    MINE WAS MINE WAS!
    When we let him out of his coop we would run inside lock the door shut the blinds and hope he can't find us! [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a game mix. Pretty bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by