Chicken Assistance needed

MRWORNOUT

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2018
I have one of my hens that has a problem that am not familiar with. Her left eye is scabbed over and her scalp seems like she has something going on with it also which may or may not be related.
She seems to show signs that her scalp itches and she cannot see from her left eye.
Does anyone know what this is or what to do for her and can it be reversed?

Attachments

• Chciken eye problem.jpg
    Chciken eye problem.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 15
Poor baby, that looks uncomfortable. have you checked for mites or lice? it could also be scaly face/leg mites. She may have injured herself also. Maybe try gently washing the area with saline solution, and see if you can get some of the crust off for a better look.

Clean the eye with saline or water, or place a warm wet washcloth on the face for 10 minutes while you hold her in a towel, and take another picture. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are available at most Dollar Stores, grocery’s and pharmacies. Are you in the US?

My wife will get some antibiotic cream in the morning for treatment. We also are going to clean out coop/flight pen again, treat for mites/lice and check a few of the birds for these to see if we can see any.
We clean out the pen normally once a week, treat the coop and nesting boxes with seven dust after cleaning then put it new straw in the boxes and pine shavings on the ground floor.

Back
Top Bottom