Chicken ate earring back

Well, now I'm certainly less worried about all the potential cable-tie ends I suspect are in my run. I was always worried they'd try to swallow a piece and cause mw a headache, but now somehow I do not think that it will be a problem...

One of my chickens ate a 1/4" stainless steel nut I dropped while working on a project outside. I've never seen the nut again, and the chicken is doing just fine. That was months ago. I probably would have done more damage to her attempting crop surgery than by watching and waiting. (and, I admit, hoping - poultry illness/injury is NOT my strong point). Eventually I'll cull her, and if the nut is still there, I'll get a photo for the community.
Yes, and there is a thread on here somewhere I think I found it when mine swallowed the screw. It was about one that ate a screw and was taken to the vet for surgery and they found that screw and all of kinds of other screws and things the chicken had already ate and been living with. The chicken died as a result of the surgery, though, if I remember correctly.

Hi - I have just lost a very special sentimental stud earing (tanzanite) . My hen ate it. I'm devastated. I have isolated her with water only(night time) and will feed her in the morning. With all the posts I see no one found their treasures in the poops. I will happily wait and search, however I read that odd objects end up in gizzard. Please help. I'm heartbroken. It all happened so fast. Thank you.

Not many among us chicken keepers that haven't lost an earring to a quick beak. And no, unless you are prepared to follow the hen around and sift every poop, it's likely gone. The good news is that swallowing a stud almost never kills the chicken.

One thing you can try is raw egg white. The chicken must drink it all or you need to syringe it into her crop. It will create a super slime in the chicken's digestive system and it may carry the earring out. You need to be on the alert for it for the 24 hours following the egg white.

Be careful you don't get any in the airway. Just put it into the right side of the beak, avoiding the center of the throat.

Not many among us chicken keepers that haven't lost an earring to a quick beak. And no, unless you are prepared to follow the hen around and sift every poop, it's likely gone. The good news is that swallowing a stud almost never kills the chicken.

One thing you can try is raw egg white. The chicken must drink it all or you need to syringe it into her crop. It will create a super slime in the chicken's digestive system and it may carry the earring out. You need to be on the alert for it for the 24 hours following the egg white.

Be careful you don't get any in the airway. Just put it into the right side of the beak, avoiding the center of the throat.
Thank you for such a quick response! Unfortunately it was the actually tanzanite part of earring and not the backing. I have isolated her in a spacious unused bathroom and she is comfy. I will happily wait, gather and search each and every poooop 🙃🙈These earrings are so special/sentimental. I don't own much jewelry. My tears have dried now and reading your message gives me hope and a bit of peace for now☺️ praying and fingers 🤞🏼 thank you

Back
Top Bottom