Chicken ate part of mushroom?

PastaChickenBoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
MD
I was informed that my Light Brahma ate a chunk of a red spotless mushroom slightly smaller than a dime around last morning. I have no pictures of the mushroom. She is currently acting a bit lethargic, moving slowly, and won't really eat or drink. I don't know what I should do, is there anything I can do?

I have pictures now, an ID would be appreciated. Also one of the poor hen.

20200930_155501.jpg
20200930_155124.jpg
20200930_155114.jpg
20200930_155109.jpg

I have the same ones under my deck.
My chickens have taken bites out of them. I dont know which chickens but they are all still alive.

Just because they took a bite does not mean they ingested it. Chickens are curious but their also smart.

In all my years owning chickens, i have never had one die from eating poisonous plants. And their are a ton of deadly ones around.

To me it looks like a gilled bolete, a non poisonous variety. It's hard to tell without a spore print. Spore print would be yellow/brown.

https://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/mushrooms

Although the pictured shroom doesn't exactly look like yours, I think the one in your pics is not a mature specimen.

Are the gills yellowish ? It's hard to tell in your pics. Google "Gilled Bolete" and see if you think it's a match.

Just my 2 cents, and I really hope your chicken will be OK !

To me it looks like a gilled bolete, a non poisonous variety. It's hard to tell without a spore print. Spore print would be yellow/brown.

https://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/mushrooms

Although the pictured shroom doesn't exactly look like yours, I think the one in your pics is not a mature specimen.

Are the gills yellowish ? It's hard to tell in your pics. Google "Gilled Bolete" and see if you think it's a match.

Just my 2 cents, and I really hope your chicken will be OK !
Oh yeah, the lighting's a bit wonky. The gills are pure white and so is the stem. If it weren't for my location I would think they are some sort of russula based on my Googling (which seem to cause gastrointestinal problems but are not deadly).

Last edited:
Poisonous Russulas are apparently not lethal to humans but only cause stomachaches, diarrhea, nausea, etc. and I'm hoping that's as harmful as it will be to my chicken. She's still pretty lethargic but she is drinking water. I guess I'd behave the same way if I had a really bad stomachache, but I'll be monitoring her status closely.

Day 2, she's still acting mopey and standing in the corner of the yard with the classic "sick hen" posture. I guess it's better than her condition getting worse but I'll make sure she continues to eat and drink
I saw in another thread that the owner gave her birds some melon to make up for not drinking as much and they ended up getting better, hoping mine can too.

Day 3. Yesterday my dad isolated her in our old coop with some food and water, and in a while she began to pace around energetically and cluck as if she wanted out, so I let her out. She ate some grass, and I thought she had gotten better. Today she's acting the same as day 1. I'm beginning to think she doesn't want me to know she's sick and is acting well so I don't get suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom