chicken ate poisonous toad HELP???

arnr1530

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
North Carolina
three days ago my hen she ate a poisonous toad that we didnt at the time know was .. the next days she was awful not eating during lots of water and drooling so we brought her in the house i put her under the heat lamp cause it has been a bit chilly thought it would comfort her a little gave her water with ACV in it and some warm oatmeal she picks at the oatmeal here and there..... then i gave her some drops every couple hours of water and honey then water and epson salt following all of what people have told me to do.... i feel like im at a end she doesnt seem to be getting better she has heavy breathing still picking at the oatmeal here and there she is loosing the color in her face its pink not red anymore im so sad this is my little girls hen and i hate to tell ehr she died.... if any one anyone has any suggestions please let me know antibiotics anything home remedy please thank you

Update I went to go check on her and rub her belly for the first time in two days she pecked me don't know if it was of defense or cause she is so sick ..... Then she got up very weakly and flopped in front of the oatmeal

If you can keep her going I wonder if she will eventually get the toxin out of her system. I'd just make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

Hope she makes it!

Don't worry too much. The toxic dose for bufotenin is rather considerable, well beyond the amount found in one small toad native to NC. If you we're in S. Florida, the cane toad is a different story. That particular toad's bufotoxin can kill animals larger than chickens when ingested. Keep your bird hydrated and confined for a few days until the toad is passed.

thank you all very much for you advice but sadly our little girl passed away early yesterday morning!!! it ruched my little girl that was her chicken and it crushed me we suffered a loss tried so very hard to save her but unfortunately we could not thank you again!!!

Back
Top Bottom