Chicken attacked by a coyote, big neck wound, please HELP

mgcc

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Hello, my chicken got attacked by a coyote today. I was able to scare him away before he killed anyone but one of my chickens was severely affected with a big gash all around her neck. He pulled all her feathers around the neck out pulling along her skin. I can see her tendons and fatty tissues are exposed. She is doing fine and is appropriately alert and interactive. She is walking around, and has normal range of motion of her head. Things I've done:
1. separated her from the rest of the flock
2. irrigated her wound thoroughly with saline
3. inspected to make sure no main veins or arteries were punctures - she is not actively bleeding
4. given her oral amoxicillin
5. given her oral aspirin

She is eating and drinking water without issues, but I am worried about the extent of her wound and whether skin and feathers will eventually grow. I am also worried about putting vetrycin or neosporin in such a large wound with exposed tendons. This is my first flock of chickens and my first predator attack. I do plan to take her to the vet but they are closed today. Any help and guidance will be deeply appreciated. I am so sad and frustrated because I want her to heal and be well.
IMG_6223.jpeg

Last edited:
Post a pic of the injury if you can, helps other give advice! And I’m so sorry about your girl.
Thank you, I just added a photo! Its only of the side of her neck, not the whole wound. I'll try to upload more later. I'm trying to let her rest a bit and not manipulate her as much after such a traumatic attack!

Thank you, I just added a photo! Its only of the side of her neck, not the whole wound. I'll try to upload more later. I'm trying to let her rest a bit and not manipulate her as much after such a traumatic attack!
I think you’re doing everything you can. She’ll def need rest. Hopefully one of the experts here can give you some great advice for healing. I’m always shocked at how well they can recover, hope that will be the case for your lady.

How is your chicken? Hoping a boost can help this been seen by someone who has advice!
Thank you 🙏🏼 she’s doing okay. Still eating and drinking water. Now sleeping. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can help me to figure out how to protect her neck until she heals up. Fingers crossed it all goes well!

Thank you 🙏🏼 she’s doing okay. Still eating and drinking water. Now sleeping. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can help me to figure out how to protect her neck until she heals up. Fingers crossed it all goes well!
I’m glad you have a vet willing to see her, what a blessing. Prayers for her and for you, I know it’s hard on the caretaker, too :hugs

Don't give aspirin. Otherwise you're doing fine, I think. Irrigating with saline is good. You can coat the wound with original Neosporin - it should NOT have pain reliever in it. Or spray with Veterycin. If she's eating, drinking, pooping and acting normal she should do well, just watch for flystrike. Chickens can heal from some amazing wounds! Good luck with her! And yes, the feathers will grow back. :hugs

Don't give aspirin. Otherwise you're doing fine, I think. Irrigating with saline is good. You can coat the wound with original Neosporin - it should NOT have pain reliever in it. Or spray with Veterycin. If she's eating, drinking, pooping and acting normal she should do well, just watch for flystrike. Chickens can heal from some amazing wounds! Good luck with her! And yes, the feathers will grow back. :hugs
Why not give aspirin? Is there anything else I can give for pain? Do you think its okay to spray Veterycin on her exposed tendons? Fortunately its winter in Albuquerque and there are no flies. So exciting to hear there is hope!!! Thank you so much. I may be able to sleep tonight after all

I’m glad you have a vet willing to see her, what a blessing. Prayers for her and for you, I know it’s hard on the caretaker, too :hugs
I appreciate your help today, and for checking in even later in the day. This means a lot to me! I can’t tell you how preoccupied I’ve been all day. Im even scared for my other chicks and hope the coyote doesn’t come back. We built them a fort knox coop today after the incident!

Back
Top Bottom