Chicken attacked by a Osprey

Will send photos tomorrow I need two more hands to get this cleaned up.
These are the best I can do it is very hard to clean all the blood away. Soked it and sprayed it. Put cream on it. They also both have and smell like Infections. Don’t know what to do. 😢

Attachments

• D0DB4D8D-C737-4BCE-AE40-A5070729F806.jpeg
    D0DB4D8D-C737-4BCE-AE40-A5070729F806.jpeg
    573.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 8781F602-A05A-41FC-9689-92191A6ACED9.jpeg
    8781F602-A05A-41FC-9689-92191A6ACED9.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 5
  • AFA79F40-3BF8-4913-84C2-5BE97C86F685.jpeg
    AFA79F40-3BF8-4913-84C2-5BE97C86F685.jpeg
    849.9 KB · Views: 5
These are the best I can do it is very hard to clean all the blood away. Soked it and sprayed it. Put cream on it. They also both have and smell like Infections. Don’t know what to do. 😢
Those should heal fine, with daily cleansing, & ointment applied after a good amount of dry time.

For the suspected infection, other's can suggest a solution.

I would get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) - this can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. and clean the wounds very well. Trim all the crusty feathers away from the wounds as well.
See if cleaning them up makes any difference in the smell.

If not, then you may need an antibiotic. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

I would get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) - this can be found at Walmart, CVS, etc. and clean the wounds very well. Trim all the crusty feathers away from the wounds as well.
See if cleaning them up makes any difference in the smell.

If not, then you may need an antibiotic. Amoxicillin is a good choice. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
Thank you. The smell is bad. Will get them antibiotics.

Thank you. The smell is bad. Will get them antibiotics.
You aren't seeing any maggots in the wounds are you?

Hopefully by really swabbing and cleaning up the crusty areas, trimming those feathers out of the way, this will greatly reduce the odor.

If you can't get Amoxicillin, then in a pinch you could use Procaine Penicillin G, this is in the refrigerated section of feed stores. You'll also need a pack of 20gauge needles and some of the smallest syringes they have. Dose is 1/4cc injected into the breast muscle once daily alternating sides for 4-5 days.

You aren't seeing any maggots in the wounds are you?

Hopefully by really swabbing and cleaning up the crusty areas, trimming those feathers out of the way, this will greatly reduce the odor.

If you can't get Amoxicillin, then in a pinch you could use Procaine Penicillin G, this is in the refrigerated section of feed stores. You'll also need a pack of 20gauge needles and some of the smallest syringes they have. Dose is 1/4cc injected into the breast muscle once daily alternating sides for 4-5 days.
No maggots.!! They are both in the house dry and warm.!!

Back
Top Bottom