Chicken attacked by Bobcat - pain med dossage help please!

ChickenWhisperer221

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2023
Hello!

My chicken Cumin was attacked by a bobcat this afternoon. She has numerous wounds, most of which are not terribly serious however. She does have one puncture wound under her leg and a severe cut by her left wing however. I have given her some goldenseal to help with the infection and B-12 but i would like to give her some medications to help with pain. Our vet clinic is closed until monday. Can I give her asprin? Or is there another over the counter med that works?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi! No pain meds for chickens, irrigate the wounds with saline twice a day and then slather with the cream you're using. You should also keep her warm and a semi dark place, offer her sweetened water, or watermelon, and raw yolk. Hopefully she eats soon.

@SmiYa0126 thanks for the tips!

She has been eating some raw yolk and regular food and is currently in a dark kennel with a blaket. She seems pretty stressed and won't sit down. I'll wash the wounds with sailine and offer her more treats and keep up with the cream. Thanks!

I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered goldenseal being toxic to chickens internally, but external should be fine. Echinacea is fine, but you won't want to use it for a long time.

Ok thank you! I have some homemade herbal salve with comfrey that I can use. And I can give her some Echinacea - what does it help with?

Here are two really knowledgeable people describing what they do for wounds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-me-my-chicken-might-die.1584165/#post-26915199

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help-me-my-chicken-might-die.1584165/#post-26914946

Goldseal is an herbal antibiotic, pretty sure that chickens can't break down berberines, so it can poison them if taken internally. Echinacea boosts the production of white blood cells that fight infection. If her wounds are minimal you should be able to treat externally only, though.

I just heard of someone saying to give a tiny bit of aspirin to chicken who was limping today, but I'm sure that stresses their liver, so you only want to give if necessary. Anything with lidocaine or similar is toxic. I would just treat the shock and she should seem calmer after that.

Do you have any amoxacillian or the like? Goldenseal isn't strong enough to help against the bacteria found in predator inflicted wounds. It's also toxic the chickens in the right dose...
Do not give any pain killers as most are blood thinners and can cause issues will internal bleeding.
Just smear some neosporin in her injuries for a few days then let it scab naturally.

I don't have any amoxacillin. I have enrofloxacin if that would help. I won't give any more internal goldenseal (she only had a little bit earlier). Should I keep applying goldenseal to the wounds? Or just neosporin? Is there something special I should do for the puncture wound?

@Saveria
I want to give her some warm sugar water to help wtih shock. Do you know how sugary I should make the water? Also should i give her some electrolites - I have some EmergencyC packets.

Back
Top Bottom