Chicken Attacked by Dog *Warning Graphic Image*

bcannon91219

Chirping
Mar 3, 2021
Hello, im new to the backyard group but need advice. Three days ago one of my favorite hens was attack by a stray while I was outside. I managed to run the dog off but she went under the house and I was only able to get her for the first time today. He tore her skin open in one area and she has a puncture wound on the side. When I picked her up I smell a found odor I cleansed with peroxide and coated in neosporin. The back part of her skin towards her tail can actually flap backwards. Any advice? Should I just put her out her misery?
20210308_163419.jpg

Wether to cull or not is up to you. Chickens CAN recover from some pretty funky stuff if you are willing to put in the effort to care for them- or they might not. If you are going to try treating, be sure to keep the area clean- trim feathers around the area if needed. Only use antibiotic creams WITHOUT pain killers.

I had something similar happen to a chicken last summer. The chickens were free ranging and we went to a river beach in town. We came home and one of the 12 had been taken, and my girl Wynonna looked very disheveled. Half her tail feathers had been ripped out(I found them in a little pile not far away), and her actual tail nub was torn in half. Through the muscle.

I rinsed her well with lukewarm water several times, and then a few times with hydrogen peroxide, to get the deep dirt out. I did another rinse, and after she was in her roost for the night, I applied Neosporin. I Rinsed it out the next morning, and let her go about her day as the bleeding stopped. She dust bathed during the day, so just before bed on the second night I flushed with hydrogen peroxide. The next morning, there was a thin scab covering the area so I left it alone.

I monitored the scab edges for about a week, making sure the edges weren’t looking red or inflamed, and gently pressing with my finger to make sure puss or fluid wasn’t collecting.

Her tail never healed back together(it’s two mini nubs now 😂) but she is healthy, fully feathered and fabulous. Definitely the boss lady of our flock. The most adventurous and outgoing, always the first one out of the run and up in my business each morning.

I personally wouldn’t cull yet. Id treat the wound as I described above, monitor behavior, and make the decision based on your chickens temperament and appearance of health.

The smell probably indicates there is some infection, since it wasn't treated immediately. Don't despair. Usually it can be cleared up with good wound care, but if the infection is stubborn, an antibiotic can be used too.

2 - 3 times a day, wash it out pretty good with saline solution, OR Betadine solution. Let it dry some, then slather on antibiotic ointment. Keep the area continuously coated with the antibiotic ointment. You may want to get the large Telfa type pads, and some vet wrap to semi-loosely cover the wound. When the flap of skin is moist, and pliable, gently manipulate it to the general area where it should cover. The Telfa pads, and vet wrap will help keep the flap of skin in place, help keep the ointment on the wound, and help prevent the chicken from picking at the wound.

Plan on caring for the chicken for about 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom