Chicken attacked by hawk/ coyote; What to do about this injury-UPDATE

Moogie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
DFW, Texas
I heard a squabble and ran out the door to see one of my Americaunas run across the bridge - but no predator in sight.

She lost a lot of feathers - mostly on her little butt and tail; also a few on one wing and her chest.

She has a tear right below where her tail feathers were - but above her vent (which fortunately wasn't injured).

The tear is only in the skin and about 1" long (my thumbnail in this pic is 5/8" long). In a human, it would require stitches - but I don't know how to treat this:

The images are somewhat graphic - just so you're warned:

DSC_0865.jpg

My other 12 chickens are not bothering her and she is walking normally.

Can anyone please help me with my poor chicken?

UPDATE: thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. I treated her wound with triple antibiotic cream and flushed it with betadine tea for several days. I ordered Rooster Booster No Peck, Blukote, Swat, Aluspray, and Poultry Drench online. The Rooster Booster came in a couple of days later and I applied that - and was relieved that I didn't see any signs of infection. On Saturday, the Poultry Drench arrived, so I gave her a dose of that and checked her wound again. Even though it had only been a week, the exposed muscle was completely covered with healthy skin (and I didn't suture or butterfly bandage it) -- I can see that new feathers are just starting to come in. You all were right about how resilient chickens are ... And to me, it's nearly miraculous how quickly she's recovered. We've named her Lucky - she was our only Americauna that was laying -- she laid a beautiful blue egg the morning after she was attacked, but hasn't laid since.

I'm keeping all the hens locked in the hoop coop, and they're a pretty disgruntled lot, after having the run of our bit of acreage. But I let them free range whenever I'm outside working, which will have to do for now. My chicken medicine bag is now stocked and I just had to tell all of you how much I appreciated your taking the time to post such helpful advice and encouragement when we really, really needed it!
love.gif

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your little chick. I don't know what to do about the cut, since I am sort of a newbie. Just giving your post a bump, so maybe someone who knows will see. Good luck.

I am not sure about what else to do but you do need to put bluekote on it. When the other chickens see blood it is really ugly. The bluekote will cover the blood. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Sorry this happened.
hugs.gif

Watch for fly maggots! I am new to chickens so my adivice is iffy but there are two products one called blue coat and one called SWAT. The bluekote will help it heal and keep the other chickens from pecking it. The other is to keep the flies from laying eggs and developing a maggot problem. There are several Knowledgable people here who might help so this will bump it back up
hugs.gif
love.gif

ok - I've now had time to do a search (was kind of in a panic there) and I have the following on hand:

betadine to make betadine tea

sterile isotonic buffered eye wash (would this be like a saline solution?)

triple antibiotic cream

I also have both liquid & tablet antibiotics

And I have a large dog crate to isolate her. Would I need to isolate her if the other chickens aren't bothering her? I do worry about her trying to roost tonight - or get down in the morning.

I also have small butterfly bandages - but don't know whether or not she'd leave them alone.

Should I wash with the betadine or eye wash - and then add antibiotic cream?
Any thoughts about the butterfly bandages?

She isn't bleeding and it's been about an hour+ since she was injured.

Thank you so much for any help - I feel so sorry for her...

IMO I would keep her in at least for the night. Sounds like you have everything under control. I forgot. Feed her some scrambled eggs. Lots of protien. If you have any yogurt maybe mix with the eggs. Please keep us up to date.

I would put triple antibiotic cream or blue kote on it and just keep her separated and leave her be. Chickens heal amazingly fast and I wouldn't be surprised if it scabbed over in just a few days. The biggest threat is other chickens picking at her.

Thanks so much for everyone's help and advice. I applied 3X antibiotic cream and she was surprisingly calm and still. She's now in a large wire dog crate inside the hoop coop and she immediately began eating the food I'd put inside. I could put her inside the garage, but thought she would like it better in the hoop coop with the other hens. Please let me know if anyone thinks this is a mistake and I'll move her.

I'll check on her every hour or so until sundown and will post updates to her progress/recover.

Again - thank you for such prompt help and answers and for all the kind thoughts.
love.gif

I would worry about maggots getting into the wound more than anything else. Your temps are probably still plenty warm enough for flys

Back
Top Bottom