Chicken attacked by Osprey severely injured

My chicken was bitten badly by a dog. I keep would clean, cut feathers back and kept her inside in a wired dog cage. She did heal but the other chickens would attack her when reunited. Not sure why.
I think it's because they feel she is weaker because of the injury and her weakness poses a threat to the flock as a whole.
My girl Vulture who was attacked by a hawk, had to be separated with a few mild manner hens for at least 3-4 months after her injury healed. She was one of the top hens before her injury, now she on the bottom rung, even though she is healthy and a prolific layer.
Chickens will actually kill other sick/injured chickens to protect the flock (I've read)

Awwwe this breaks my heart, this poor little girl disappeared on Friday! Left the house to take dogs for a walk so Noone was home and in those 40 minutes, by the time I got back, she was no where to be found?!

No sign of bird attack, or any trace of her... the chickens were free roaming around the house that day, outside of their free range area which is about 1/3 of a hectare... she was so weary and fast on her legs now that she was healed up, that I am bluffed at what happened... suspecting neighbors dog possibly snuck in when Noone was home, but she was the fastest runner and never far from the coop. I checked all of my property, under buckets, trees, tight spots, no idea what happened, not a trace, but it breaks my heart, she literally just healed up and was fully feathered again.

Haven't seen a fox in a long time, and he would be brave coming here in broad day light, any suggestions?

Awwwe this breaks my heart, this poor little girl disappeared on Friday! Left the house to take dogs for a walk so Noone was home and in those 40 minutes, by the time I got back, she was no where to be found?!

No sign of bird attack, or any trace of her... the chickens were free roaming around the house that day, outside of their free range area which is about 1/3 of a hectare... she was so weary and fast on her legs now that she was healed up, that I am bluffed at what happened... suspecting neighbors dog possibly snuck in when Noone was home, but she was the fastest runner and never far from the coop. I checked all of my property, under buckets, trees, tight spots, no idea what happened, not a trace, but it breaks my heart, she literally just healed up and was fully feathered again.

Haven't seen a fox in a long time, and he would be brave coming here in broad day light, any suggestions?

Aww, I'm sorry you lost your girl! Especially after she's (and you) have been through so much.

Could it have been a loner coyote, if you have them around your area? They definitely will wonder out during the day if hungry enough, and usually take the whole chicken with them. I have one sniffing around my coop right now actually, he chewed through the bottom electric wire (which I'm guessing wasn't working properly to start) and tried digging under the fence to access the closed off coop area.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Dog, Fox, Coyote - something that could carry off a bird would be my guess.

maybe she went broody and found a hiding spot to nest in....? i’ve seen a few people have that happen....hopefully it’s that kind of situation and not something else...

im sorry, though. i’ve been watching this thread and i was happy she was doing better.

Back
Top Bottom