I had a chicken that was injured somehow and broke her leg. I didn't give up on her though and she is doing great and only has a small limp left. She was my pet so I was willing to spend a lot of time and money to help her heal. Weather there is no hope or not largely depends on how much money and time you are willing to spend on said chicken. So far, you have done everything right, the hobby farms article posted by benjaminzygs is a very good reference. Hope your chicken gets better!

Thanks a lot. đź‘Ť

I would refrain from using hydrogen peroxide any further. It can inhibit healing. You definitely want to keep the wound moist. The triple antibiotic will help you with this. You can get triple antibiotic at most any store. Even some gas stations will have it in the first aid section.

I would refrain from using hydrogen peroxide any further. It can inhibit healing. You definitely want to keep the wound moist. The triple antibiotic will help you with this. You can get triple antibiotic at most any store. Even some gas staitions will have it in the first aid section.
Thanks will do!

If you can remove the bandage and apply some plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment to the wound. If you don’t, there is a chance the wound could get infected, and it is going to stick to that bandage. When you remove it, it will damage the tissue more. If you have a Dollar Tree, you can get ointment for a dollar. It doesn’t need a bandage, but he needs to be separated in a dog crate with food and water. A clean old towel would be good for bedding, so that it doesn’t not get into the wound. If you have to bandage it, get some “nonstick pads” or Telfa pads at your Walmart or pharmacy. Those will not stick to the wound. Re-apply the antibiotc ointment twice a day after cleaning the wound with saline.

While doing my online classes I heard a pained squak outside and found out my chicken had somehow got to the next door neighbors and was being attacked by the dogs. I got him back and looked at the injury and it was pretty bad. His skin was torn away to right of his butt. Muscles and bone were exposed. There was barely any skin left to stitch. I washed the wound and dried it off and applied hydrogen peroxide and dried it off. I applied a gauge pad, wrapped it with a cloth and tied it off with a sock. I prepped a separate cage with feed and water. Is there something I should’ve done different? Or is there no hope?

I had a Dominique who was attacked by a hawk, bone on her wing was exposed. I clean it well with vetricyn, used triple antibiotic ointment wound uncovered and put her in a dark warm cage with food and water for a week, she is one happy baby ( not a baby anymore lol) now. Chickens are very resilient little things.

Back
Top Bottom