Chicken attacked neck open pictures!!Help please!

ecopepper

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Orlando Florida
31024_summergarden2010_005.jpg

31024_summergarden2010_005.jpg

Do you think I should sew it up if she makes it through the night? Or now? Or at all? A possum got through a unlocked nest box. I can't beleave I forgot to lock it. First day back to school tomorrow and daughter is so distraught. Was eating and drinking at first now just relaxing a bit lathargit<sp>. This has to be the area where food gets processed. Gizzard? Oh please give me feed back!
Thank you so much,
Ecopepper!

oooh poor bird

I don't think I would sew it as that would trap the contaminants and potential infection inside the wound. All I know to tell you is feed the usual rehab foods (egg, yogurt... maybe together after a whirl in the blender?). Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come through....

Oh, hun... that doesn't look good at all. We've had run-ins with those nasty opposums too.... I am so sorry.

I have seen with my birds that chickens have an incredible ability to heal. (Had one with a huge chunk taken out of her flank and I cleaned her up (used squirt bottle with warm sailine water and flushed the wound clean, then I smeared it with antibiotic ointment and put her in solitary for the night. She still had a spark in her eye in the morning, so I fed her some garlic mashed in scrambled eggs...(antibiotic/antibacterial properties in garlic) and, though I wasn't too hopeful, she didn't seem worse on day two, so I thought I'd give her a few more days before making a final determination. Every day she seemed a little perkier... within about 2 weeks, she was laying again...(an egg a day) within two months, the 2 1/2 x2 1/2 inch chunk was not visible at all. I was amazed.

From your picture, though, it looks as though the birds CROP (sack that food goes to after chicken eats swallows it) has been torn open as well. I have no idea if stitching the edges of the crop closed would "repair" it (I have no idea if it has the ability to regrow and seal itself as a flesh wound does) or if it would become leaky and be a constant source of re-infection for her. If you are going to attempt to stitch her up, you'd need to address the torn crop first, or you'll have all sorts of infection issues/thrush issues etc. Unfortunately, my instinct is that she won't recover from a torn crop injury... every time she eats/drinks, that crop gets stretched... and it would have to be leak tight to keep food/liquid from entering her body cavity instead of staying in her digestive tract.

I really hope it's not her crop!

Good luck!

Thank you. I think it is her crop. I went in this morning and she was just hanging out in the tub. I will futher inspect it. On the sticky here it shows a operation for this type of situation. But I am going to look for a dr. too. She had some eggs I wish I would have put garlic in but I will next time. If anyone ever has this issue look at the stickys on top of links to injury they help some.

Unfortunately, I would think the tear in her crop will lead to sepsis. The food and bacteria are going to leak into her body. Sorry this happened.
hugs.gif

HI just a quick update. Kermit is doing better. I have antibiotics for him and I flush out wound 3 times a day. She even layed a egg today. I thought they stopped laying after major tramma but maybe that was already in the process. She is inside so no lava eggs find their way into the wound. And I am hoping for no rain tomorrow so she can have some sunshine. Next monday she will hopefully be sewwed shut! Thanks for the advice and concern!!
wink.png

Awesome!
Good information if you have it to share:
What are you flushing with? Was it prescribed or is it something anyone can get?
Are the antibiotics added to water or an injection? Is it penicillin or somethign that must be bought from a vet?

I am glad to hear the good report!

The crop needs to be sewn shut soon. If you can get some of the skin glue from a vet, that will work in a pinch, although not as well as stitches. Wish you were closer, as I have dissolve able sutures here....

Back
Top Bottom