Chicken attacked - possible prolapsed vent? Graphic photos

So no mites I could see, I plan on spraying her tomorrow when I treat the others just in case I missed something, especially because we will be getting chicks this next week and they will all be sharing the shed (chicks in separate brooder). It’s interesting because the side that she has her wound (the one where she is facing left) is the pale side of her face and the other side (the one where she is facing right) isn’t as pale. Do you think it’s because her body is sending blood to the wound?
Huh, that is interesting! I don’t know why that would happen.

Wow! I just read this entire thread. Honey has made huge improvements! I'm so glad she's doing so much better. If you go back and look at the first post, it's quite amazing. I'm following so I can keep up with her progress.
She has definitely been through the ringer, I really didn’t think she was going to make it this long let alone do well after she healed. I just figured her head/neck, legs, and wings were all okay so I just had to try and help her. The prolapsed vent was probably be the worst part because I didn’t know what it was at first and then when I did I didn’t think if it would stay in, but it has! I’ll post a photo tonight or tomorrow of the wounds as an update :)

So I snagged a few photos for her wound. The one is of the wound from the bite mark and abscess (why it has such a long shape, it was prior to me cleaning up her vent area some) and the other is of her vent area which actually had another piece of yellow necrotic skin up top of the vent that I was able to get off just by touching it and while I was bothering her I decided to pluck a few of the feathers right under her vent that have just been collecting poop and looking like they are irritating her. Tomorrow I’ll get the rest of them. I put some antibiotic ointment on today which I stopped doing earlier this week when I switched back to vetericyn. I was hoping the wound would close up more and it has but I felt like she needed a little today. Her feathers are growing back nicely but the base of them seem to be purple, why is that if anyone knows?

Attachments

• 5DC6DAB1-6CAB-4136-9339-3FF9F4F53E62.jpeg
    5DC6DAB1-6CAB-4136-9339-3FF9F4F53E62.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DC672C79-0BD0-4462-9BD9-D03EB571DE44.jpeg
    DC672C79-0BD0-4462-9BD9-D03EB571DE44.jpeg
    544.3 KB · Views: 14
Wanted to update now at 4 weeks, Honey is doing well! She is eating and drinking like a normal chicken now, no light snacking, this girl has been hungry and her droppings show it :woot
She just got off a larger scab that I thought I’d show as we because it’s crazy how well she is doing and looks now. Today I put her out in a dog crate without the mosquito net because I want the chickens to get more used to her. Of course they started their pecking order lovely stuff and now she had a drop of blood on her beak from where one of them got her.

I am thinking about putting her out in the coop soon and am curious about what @Eggcessive and @Mixed flock enthusiast think? I obviously want to avoid flystrike and any issues for her but I also know she is itching to be out of the shed!

Attachments

• 550BAF3A-129F-40D8-B2BA-F64A7A122187.jpeg
    550BAF3A-129F-40D8-B2BA-F64A7A122187.jpeg
    835.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 8F4F71C9-7FC5-4F7D-BA46-6327F716F4A2.jpeg
    8F4F71C9-7FC5-4F7D-BA46-6327F716F4A2.jpeg
    875.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 8A6E87D9-6F06-4FC0-9EE6-472A19D97C08.jpeg
    8A6E87D9-6F06-4FC0-9EE6-472A19D97C08.jpeg
    881.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 21D6B081-E9F0-4A5A-821E-D469ED1A4566.jpeg
    21D6B081-E9F0-4A5A-821E-D469ED1A4566.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 11
Wanted to update now at 4 weeks, Honey is doing well! She is eating and drinking like a normal chicken now, no light snacking, this girl has been hungry and her droppings show it :woot
She just got off a larger scab that I thought I’d show as we because it’s crazy how well she is doing and looks now. Today I put her out in a dog crate without the mosquito net because I want the chickens to get more used to her. Of course they started their pecking order lovely stuff and now she had a drop of blood on her beak from where one of them got her.

I am thinking about putting her out in the coop soon and am curious about what @Eggcessive and @Mixed flock enthusiast think? I obviously want to avoid flystrike and any issues for her but I also know she is itching to be out of the shed!
Wow! Honey looks fantastic!!!:celebrateHow is the wound that had to be opened and drained? If it’s closed up, then I don’t think that you need to worry about fly strike. Sounds like re-integrating may be difficult though.

Wow! Honey looks fantastic!!!:celebrateHow is the wound that had to be opened and drained? If it’s closed up, then I don’t think that you need to worry about fly strike. Sounds like re-integrating may be difficult though.
I know it doesn’t even look like it was ever as bad as her wound was, crazy! I was planning on putting the dog crate in the run to help reintegrate, do you have any suggestions on how long to do that for or anything else to help her? I plan on the day I let her out to have them be free ranging the whole day, I want her to have a chance to get away if needed.

Back
Top Bottom