Chicken attacked!

The green is likely bruising. The wound looks good as far as I can tell.
When you do another change, re-evaluate the wound, if it's healing, it may do better without the bandaging, but the saddle will help keep her more clean - you still need to watch for any signs of flies though.
I was thinking it might be bruising as well. Thanks, I'm concerned about if/when her feathers will come back. It will start getting chilly next month

I was thinking it might be bruising as well. Thanks, I'm concerned about if/when her feathers will come back. It will start getting chilly next month

You should start to see new feathers emerging. I would also provide her with some extra protein like egg, tuna or meat a few times a week.
I understand your concern about the weather getting chilly soon, but hopefully by that time she will be mostly feathered in. I've had naked molting hens in mid-January in temps down in the single digits and they did just fine with proper shelter/wind protection and food/water.

Your doing good.

No real changes but swapping out for a more fashionable apron. She likes it...but she also thinks I'm crazy

Attachments

• 20180919_155247.jpg
    20180919_155247.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180919_155300.jpg
    20180919_155300.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 8
478C8350-C6E6-49E0-AE7C-AF752CF87778.jpeg
If she were my hen I would not bandage it. I would trim the feathers around the area so it could dry. I would use something like cotton balls and wipe it with betadine twice a day I’d let it dry before covering it with the apron. As Wyorp Rick said she’ll be fine if she has no feathers. I too had a half naked girl ALL winter. I mean she had no feathers on either side and the top of her wings (pretty ugly).
I’ve had dog bites where they didn’t break the skin...they left welts and deep bruising. She looks extremely lucky to have such minimal injuries. I have one just like her ....I’ll post pics every chance I get LOL!Best wishes to you both.

That looks like what happened to one of mine. She healed up very well. I didn't do anything but put peroxide on her puncture wound. She was somewhat reserved for a few days, but she returned to her spunky self after that.

No real changes but swapping out for a more fashionable apron. She likes it...but she also thinks I'm crazy
I like her apron:)
If I'm looking at your photo correctly, I don't see where you re-bandaged her(?)

I would apply a thin amount of triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn once a day and inspect the wound daily, just like you have been doing. The apron is a good idea, it allows her to be outside and not have other hens pick at her wounds.

Shes doing really well! It looks like its healing nicely and she seems to be acting normal (except for not laying) the apron is doing good to give her a little extra protection too!
I'm glad to hear she is healing. Acting normal is good too!
Once she recovers, I hope she starts laying again, depending on her age, she may just go a head and molt too.

You've done a good job taking care of her. Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom