Chicken Autopsy Results (WARNING: very graphic pictures)

The fat around the heart is normal. If you think about it, the body keeps fat as closely as possible to the organs that will require energy (heart, leg muscles, ect.). The clot in the heart doesn't seem significant because the blood will clot once she dies anyhow. Was there blood in just one portion of the heart or did you find it throughout he heart?
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Thank you for sharing your photos. I too had a chicken that I lost to respiratory issues and I was terrified that gape worm was the cause. For the sake of the rest of the flock I did a dissection as well, and your images were the best reference I found. Your comments where helpful as well, since you seemed to have the same questions around what "normal" should look like.

I'm still not absolutely sure what caused my chickens passing but I'm very sure that it was nothing contagious and simply involved compromised (cancer?) lungs.

I really appreciate the effort and emotional investment that went into sharing your experience. You helped me a great deal.

Thank you. I came across this as I was getting ready to autopsy 5 eggs, I know they are in different stages of development as the one has a bit of shell missing and I can see part of the chick inside. Out of 12, 5 never made it. I am new to all of this and I am determined to do better. I figured, temperature or humidity. The other 7 are doing great, I think, Anybody want to come to Capon Bridge, WV and help? Surely you would have to know more than me!

Back
Top Bottom