Chicken Barfing

Jun 29, 2020
So, one of my girls has been starting up barfing again recently. A few months ago we called a vet, and she gave us some medication to give to our hen. She stopped for a while, but she's been starting to barf again. She doesn't seem to be in distress, other when she feels the urge to barf, which is obviously unpleasant. She's been laying well, and acting fairly normally. Her crop feels fine as well. The barf is a very light tannish color and the texture is similar to mucus.
I'm not really sure if there's anything wrong that we can help her with, but any and all advice would be helpful!

So, one of my girls has been starting up barfing again recently. A few months ago we called a vet, and she gave us some medication to give to our hen. She stopped for a while, but she's been starting to barf again. She doesn't seem to be in distress, other when she feels the urge to barf, which is obviously unpleasant. She's been laying well, and acting fairly normally. Her crop feels fine as well. The barf is a very light tannish color and the texture is similar to mucus.
I'm not really sure if there's anything wrong that we can help her with, but any and all advice would be helpful!
When a young child broke my speckled sussex's chest, she started having discharge out of her mouth. Chickens do not vomit, and the way you described your bird makes me think of my own. I'm sorry this is happening. :(

When a young child broke my speckled sussex's chest, she started having discharge out of her mouth. Chickens do not vomit, and the way you described your bird makes me think of my own. I'm sorry this is happening. :(
I'm sorry that happened to your chicken. Do you know of any other symptoms I should look out for if that was the case?

What time of day do you notice the barfing? Could she be stuffing herself with food and then drinking water? That would be normal to throw up a bit of water. Could be sour crop or a reproductive issue, or something else. What are her droppings looking like in the morning and throughout the day? Also curious what meds the vet gave you.

What time of day do you notice the barfing? Could she be stuffing herself with food and then drinking water? That would be normal to throw up a bit of water. Could be sour crop or a reproductive issue, or something else. What are her droppings looking like in the morning and throughout the day? Also curious what meds the vet gave you.
She's been barfing mostly in the afternoon and her poops seem to be normal, sometimes fecal, sometimes cecal, a normal coloring. The vet gave us a kind of dewormer, though I can't recall the exact medication it was

Back
Top Bottom