Chicken bathing?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by x3Silksx3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. x3Silksx3

x3Silksx3 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Hello everyone, I have a white silkie in my coop, and she is incredibly dirty, I don't know if I should wash her, Idk if it depends on the age of the silkie, I don't really no how either, I've watched videos on how to do it, but all of them are different, I have a sink but it's big and not separate in two, I could go to my friends house who is a chicken person, she knows, but I'm also think if I should wash my 3 month old silkie chicks, there always so messy, idk how to do it with an adult and chick, help me? :jumpy

2. x3Silksx3

x3Silksx3 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    I need some experts ease!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You might stop by our Silkies thread and ask them about bathing her. I have bathed them before, only because of health reasons, but I am no expert. So I would ask the Silkie experts here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Good luck with your Silkie, they sure are cute birds! :)

4. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    I got a red chicken given to me one time and she stunk like urine/ dirty pen so I put her in the tub and with warm water and dawn dish soap regular I washed her up and surprisingly she loves it and just stood there just make sure to realy rinse her to get all the soap off she came out smelling 1000 times better wrap her in a towel to dry a bit then you can place her in a clean kennel to dry further [​IMG] And it never hurt her

5. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Plain blue dawn dish soap completely safe non toxic just rinse well after

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is a thread called "Grooming and Bathing your silkie," or some similar title. Put that in the search box and it should come up. The lady actually is giving instructions for show chickens - so you don't need to follow the 2 or 3 products she uses. Actually once birds see nothing bad is going to happen, they usually like the warm water - some even fall sleep. You can use a hair dryer on low heat to hasten drying - some really enjoy that pampering also.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What do you use in the coop , etc. on the floor? Some folks use pine shavings, etc. Generally silkies can look quite dirty but after they run around and shake off - most of the dirt falls off.

8. 13Croft

13Croft New Egg

Jun 6, 2015
    The co-op when we clean the nests and floor, we sprinkle down 1st with a shaker of dried oregano. Then cover with hay straw! Co-op smells great and some herbs diminish mites and flies!

9. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    i got just the video for you :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. hamlette2002

hamlette2002 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northwest Arizona
    This was very helpful, thanks for posting the video!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by