Chicken beeing plucked alive by others. Half the back, tail and base

I was told to put raw apple cider vinegar in their water and that would help them stop pecking out feathers. Also give them things to do. I bought another flock block for mine as well as throwing them salad scraps. If I give cat food to them it's the canned food mixed with their pellets and yogurt.

I was told to put raw apple cider vinegar in their water and that would help them stop pecking out feathers. Also give them things to do. I bought another flock block for mine as well as throwing them salad scraps. If I give cat food to them it's the canned food mixed with their pellets and yogurt.
I dont recommend the cat food...too much sodium, and too much protein can cause gout. Not good for humans neither.

I have one hen whose back has been plucked so cleanly, she is starting to look like a hen you would buy from the market. Smooth, nothing growing! I have tried the apron, but she keeps removing them and I find them in the yard with the elastic broken.
When she was young, the older hens scalped her and that never grew back! I named her Miracle because it was a real miracle she survived! Now this. I have had to move her to an area out of the sun. Now she is broody and my last hope I guess is duct tape. That just sounds so strange, but I guess worth a try. Any other advice would be appreciated.

I read in an earlier post that's what they did! I am confused. I certainly wouldn't put it directly on her skin! I just need some clarification on how to do it. Poor little girl would be burnt up by the California sun if I don't do something.

Does anyone know how to use duct tape on my hen without hurting her? I have never heard of this. Please explain if you would. Thanks in advance.

I would look at a better fitting apron without elastic.

Duct tape is not for use on skin. It for one does not breathe. For two the adhesive would rip her skin during removal.

Look at the no sew aprons. Those can be custom fit whether the bird is huge or tiny.

Are you CERTAIN she is broody or is she hiding from the meanies?

Back
Top Bottom