chicken been limping for months..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by frizzleman74, Feb 4, 2012.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    My 4 1/2 month old cochin has been limping since Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that when i was putting them up on the roost at night to help teach the, that she fell on her foot wrong. I secluded her for a mothn in a small cage, but nothing go better. Shes been out of her cage for a bout a month now and still no signs of improvement. I tried to put her in a splint last week, but i just really dont know what is wrong with her. I noticed that the leg that is injured's joint is bigger then the others. Allso the bottom part of the leg after the joint seems to be inward. She hobbled around fine, and there are no signs of pain when touching her leg. Im so confused and really dont know what to do. Should i cull? Has her leg been growing with this injury so theres no hope for recovery? Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong. Ill take a couple pictures if that will help. Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She could have broken her leg when she fell. Chickens show no pain when they get hurt, because sick chickens are automatically singled out and picked on. If it did break, and has healed improperly, I don't think there's anything to be done about it. She'll probably have a permanent limp, but I say if she can get around well enough to eat and drink and isn't being harassed, leave her to it. Good luck, sorry about your Cochin...

3. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    Should i make a splint, any ideas of what could be wrong?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    After all this time, it's too late for a splint to have much effect most likely. Plus you'd have to know exactly what was wrong to know where to put the splint in the first place. If the one joint is bigger then that's likely where the problem is. But like I said, after 2+ months I don't know if it would even do any good.

I'm inclined to say if she's getting around fine and doing OK otherwise, just leave it. I'm not a big believer in the thought that a bird should be killed because you think it might be suffering. If she's thriving and getting around, then she's not suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by