Chicken behavior - adding banty hen back to flock advice

saracb

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Hi everyone,
I need some advice on a chicken flock situation. Hopefully this is the right place to post this.
We got a rooster last summer and it really changed the dynamics of my flock. I have 5 hens (had 6 with the bany) and 1 rooster.
The head of the flock got aggressive over the spring towards our banty hen and pecked at her eye. I removed her from the flock for a while, but she showed no signs of stopping. The banty is a docile hen, but very independent. We gave her to some friends who have a small flock that sans any mean hens so she has been with them for a few months. She ended up losing her eye but otherwise is doing fine.
Now we are wanting to bring her back. My question is - will she still get pecked at? Should we separate the head hen from the rest for a while to restructure the social order? Or if we bring her back will things reestablish and be ok?
One reason we want her back is that she is pecking at some new pullets our friends got. I think they want to give her back. But I also really like this hen and want her back as well.
Any advice on this chicken drama?
Thanks!

I'm sorry your hen lost her eye
hmm.png

What i would do it seperate the naughty hen, maybe put it in a dog crate with a wire front so that hen can see the others getting along with the banty hen, and do this for an hour or so evryday and then one night put her in the house with the others, so all your hens wake up with her there and everything should be fine and dandy
Good luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom