Chicken behavior can be side splitting hilarious

A close friend thought I should have a smart phone. I told her I refuse to deal with such a tyrannical object, detesting phones my entire eight decades of life even as a teenager. So, she said she would buy it and also assume responsibility for adding minutes since I refuse to deal with Nazi phone providers and phone menus and non-humans.

I've had the smart phone for four years now. I've texted once and used the phone to make three calls over four years. It mostly lives in the dark dank recesses of my mail bag, losing its charge, and I have spent more time charging the thing than actually using it.

I feel the same way about my land line phone, hating it also. Somehow, I manage to survive without a phone grafted to my hand.

When I left for Spain the last thing I did before getting into the airport was put the two mobile phones I had to carry for work etc on the floor and stamped on them. That was twelve years ago.
I had to have a mobile phone when I returned to the UK a decade later. You just can't function properly in the UK without one if you are dealing with the government at any level. My family also want me to at least carry a phone

We've gotten our chickens "treat trained". If we need to round them back up to the run early we just shake a cup of seeds near the gate and, boy, do they come runnin! Lol
I have 2 hens that if they decide they want some attention (or treats), they will come peck on the (glass) back door.
For as dumb as they seem sometimes, they are pretty smart creatures, hilariously so :)

One of the things I have yet to really think through and discuss is how chickens may be able to evolve emotionally, much as humans do, and I believe this emotional development is aided by this interesting hormone, mesotocin in birds and oxytocin in humans.

The example of this in my own flock is a hen seeing an opportunity for emotional closeness when I am engaged in the simple task of scooping poop in the run. The hen herself initiates this, and I have several who do this, coming up close and raking her foot across the sand or across my knee as a signal to be picked up and held closely.

The more closely the hen is held, the more blissful is the reaction. And even the most active and motion-driven chicken will show no anxiousness to be released, content to be held in this close snuggle for as long as I'm willing to devote the time and energy to it.

Time change definitely sucks 😡. That said, even my 3 week old girls have a sense of time already. I try to do last feed/water change around an hour before sunset, which also includes their evening treat now. And I can hear the ruckus starting if I'm late LoL. One of their favorite treats so far is thawed out petite peas. I call that activity the "evening peas-ful riot", all the girls running around with a pea screeching that the one she's got is better 😆. Sure does wear them out for bedtime!

My flock gets a treat of BOSS and a little scratch every afternoon.
They definitely know when we’re late! :lol:
One particular hen, a red bantam Cochin called Sophie, is an absolute “Karen”.
She wants to speak with the manager immediately! She has never experienced such awful service! :rant:barnie:rant

I’m pretty sure there’s some “fowl” language in her daily tirades as well :gig

Back
Top Bottom