Chicken Behavior- Dirt/Dust Baths

HomesteaderWife

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 24, 2015
Alabama
Hello BYC! I am currently working on an article that discusses the behavior of chickens when they take dust baths. While discussing the benefits that this provides to the bird, I would like to make mention that the chickens seem content during the process, and even excited for the chance to take a dirt bath if normally confined.

I would like to know your input on this, as backyard keepers who know your flock and their personalities well. Do you feel as if your chickens are in a good mood when taking their dirt baths?

In personal experience with my own flock, I've noticed that our birds seem to enjoy their dust baths and be at their most relaxed state. I'd like to hear the input of others though! Thank you!

Ive had a few hens that actually appear to be in a trance while dust bathing! My girls will dust bathe under a certain bush, but when I bring out the dust bathing "bin", they ALL try to cram in it at the same time. Other things Ive noticed is the head hen is always pushing the other girls out of their bathing spot to take it for herself. LOL. Hen drama!
118.jpg

Ive had a few hens that actually appear to be in a trance while dust bathing! My girls will dust bathe under a certain bush, but when I bring out the dust bathing "bin", they ALL try to cram in it at the same time. Other things Ive noticed is the head hen is always pushing the other girls out of their bathing spot to take it for herself. LOL. Hen drama!
View attachment 1577734

Oh my gosh, the look on your white hen's face is priceless! I love this picture so much:love

My girls love to take dust baths. In their enclosure, they have pretty much dug out areas where they like to roll around in the dirt. Some of my hens like to lay down next to each other and do sort of a joint dusting/feather cleaning. It is really funny to watch, because they look like they are having a great time. When I free ranged mine they would also go under this Cypress near my house to dust bathe and it was their hang out.

… I would like to make mention that the chickens seem content during the process, [of dust bathing] and even excited for the chance to take a dirt bath if normally confined.... I would like to know your input on this...

I am unsure if chickens "Enjoy dust baths or not, but every time a sitting hen comes off the nest she will invariably take a dust bath, that is if she has access to dust or dry loose dirt.

@HomesteaderWife
The first time my chicks did a dust bath they were the same way. I think they enjoyed it too much, because they fell asleep in the little areas they claimed in the dirt and scared me. I thought they were goners, but I guess it's completely normal for the chicks to fall asleep like that. Some of mine would sleep with their legs up in the air. Now mine sleep on their sides when dusting. They're quite comical.

Back
Top Bottom