Chicken behaviors. ARGH!

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
I do love my chickens, but every once in a while I just wish they would behave. Honestly, look what they did to my innocent little jade plant.

6F994D6A-A28C-404E-BB18-BE750CBE5A64.jpeg

This WAS a Beautiful Boston fern. They are still picking at it. *Sigh.*

BEA1C749-2C0A-406A-B2F6-A102D0579E11.jpeg

Maidenhair fern. Eaten.
5063D684-160C-44D2-AC19-7FB72CD1AB90.jpeg

What’s your ARGH! Moment of chicken deconstruction?

Attachments

• 20201024_110645.jpg
    20201024_110645.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 7
I do love my chickens, but every once in a while I just wish they would behave. Honestly, look what they did to my innocent little jade plant.

View attachment 2385287

This WAS a Beautiful Boston fern. They are still picking at it. *Sigh.*

View attachment 2385291

Maidenhair fern. Eaten. View attachment 2385292

What’s your ARGH! Moment of chicken deconstruction?
They are eating all the lil bugs for you! Chickens are RAPTORS!!!!!! LOL. I guess you will have to make modifications! LOL

I must agree that sometimes they are annoying especially when your trying to get things done.

Remember, chickens are attracted to bright primary colors as RED being their favorite color. As an example, I wear Red nail polish. When I hand feed them all they can focused on is my fingers and when I have flip flops on, they "nail" my Red toes!

Here is what you can try:

When you are leaning over, whoever is the closest to you, pick her up (grab) her if needed and stand up while talking sweet and give her a body inspection. Check her wattle and comb, crop, under her wings, vent, legs, and feet. Give her the good once over inspection and walk around with her then set her down. Keep doing this to every pullet that is close to you. They need your attention as you are the Mama Hen.

OR, you can throw seed away from you too but, you must do it BEFORE the behavior of pecking you. Otherwise, you will train them to peck at your body for treats.

I have only eight pullets and I hold and inspect each one at some point throughout the day but, I have three that require me to do so at roosting time. (I now wear a headlamp so my hands are free). One will be on the bar at the farthest point away from the door because I think she knows inspection time is coming and I cannot get her. LOL

But that does not stop me as I climb into the coop and get her anyway. LOL She screams bloody murder and I talk sweet to her and pet her until she calms down. Then I inspect her and put her back onto the roost in her spot. This is the only way I can use preventive measures to keep them all as healthy and safe. That way, when something is "off" I know and seek help if needed on BYC.

Chickens love routine and it sounds like you need to break the routine of Pecking your Butt! LOL

Good Luck with your chickens and enjoy those lil helping Raptors tearing up your once pretty ferns and garden.

Back
Top Bottom