chicken bleeding from around the comb

svalentine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Efland NC
I'm not sure if she scratched her head on something sharp, or injured her newly growing comb. She was bleeding and I thought possibly she gouged it on a piece of wire sticking through into the run.(coop under construction)
I guess my question is: anything need to be done. Like I could administer first aid to a chicken! LOL
Geez. Chickins sure can get into trouble. This happened in an hours time between letting them out and going back to check on them.
The blood is dried up now. And another chicken was what appeared to be cleaning it up for her. Picking at little pieces of dried blood. Is that ok? In case you couldn't tell, this is my first chicken injury.

I wouldnt let the other chicken peck the blood off her. It might make them turn into carnarvors (spell) and might make them turn to feather plucking...

Chickens will peck anything bright red ,like blood. the one "cleaning her" is probably the one that hurt her in the first place. Isolate her now in a dog crate or whatever. go get some blue wound kote. it will keep the others from pecking it. combs bleed alot

I recommend you temporarily seperate the hen with the injury from the others until the wound heals. If it's not a deep wound, use 1%-10% iodine on the wound, then regular neosporin. If you let her go back with the other chickens, they will pick and peck at the wound and make it worse...survival of the fittest mode, eliminate the weakest. This is why you must keep her seperated for awhile.

I personally would just grab her up, and wash that wound clean, then apply some blue cote. Now, blue cote will stain her comb blue, and it's really bright, but it also deters pecking.....then maybe you won't have to separate her.

I just looked up that Blue Kote. It is a spray. How do I spray her comb without getting it in her eyes? Also, my chickens are very tame. I'm pretty sure she's not going to just let me fix her up. Also, where do I seperate her to? A box? We got rid of the brooder box awhile ago.

Just checked on the injured chicken. She's really looking good. Upon further observation, I think she might have stuck her head out through the fencing and injured the comb pulling it back in. The others aren't messing with her at all. So maybe I dodged a bullet this time. But will surely figure out what I'm going to do the next time. Cuz I'm sure there will be a next time.

you can get blue kote at TSC or any farm store. I spray it on a rag then wipe it on. I usually have a dog crate on hand to keep sick or injured birds in. you just keep her separate until it looks better. If you do have a problem with birds picking at each other I highly recommend getting a flock block. your Purina dealer carries them. It is a block of compressed feed that they can burn aggressive energy up pecking at. thats why I can run 8 roos together, including a Sumatra.

My bluebelle did exactly this three days ago! Got her head through the fence and ripped her comb on the way back out.
barnie.gif

However, I didn't do anything special, and despite the blood running down her face for a few mins, no-one went for her. I was lucky though - as everyone has said, chickens will go for blood mercilessly and can easily kill an injured hen, so you need to be sure the blood is all cleaned off and the wound doesn't look 'red' before you can be certain the others won't go wild for it. Blu-Kote (or the UK equivalent, which I use - Gentian Violet) does seem to work.

Anyways, my girl was fine with just a little cleaning and some triple antibiotic cream. Wouldn't even know anything had happened to her. Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom