Chicken blind in one eye

Operation successful. I pulled loose a small yellow cap resembling a yarmulke. And you were correct I was not being aggressive enough, though I was using tweezers the first go around, so that was probably good.

Using the cotton was not affecting anything at first. The key was pulling her eyelid up high enough that I could attack the side of the pus. Once there, in about 2-3 strokes, it just came right out. There was no other pus in the side areas that I could see. Her eye looks weird. I hope I did not damage it on the first go round.

Also helping was that I zip tied her feet together and folded them back before wrapping in the towel. That made a ton of difference since she could no longer use her legs for leverage.

Does it look clean? I don't know what all this is supposed to look like.

20220704_100341.jpg
20220704_100357.jpg

The eyes don't look normal. Whether they are on their way to being blinded, time will tell. Good job!

Now, you need to flush the eyes with saline twice a day and put the antibiotic ointment in them twice a day.

I forget, is she on an oral antibiotic? Tylan? If not, it might be a good idea.

Just an update.

Within an hour or so of removing the pus this morning she started acting like herself. It was quite extraordinary. She was eating and hanging out with everyone else and being active. It was a major change in her countenance. I am amazed at how quickly that happened.

So this afternoon I opened her eye to reapply antibiotic ointment and found some light yellowish goo. Not sure if it was pus reforming or just eye gunk from the trauma. It wasn't much but I don't want to let anything reestablish. Either way I flushed her eye again, wiped out the small amount of gunk and reapplied salve. I am just watching her.

Just an update.

Within an hour or so of removing the pus this morning she started acting like herself. It was quite extraordinary. She was eating and hanging out with everyone else and being active. It was a major change in her countenance. I am amazed at how quickly that happened.

So this afternoon I opened her eye to reapply antibiotic ointment and found some light yellowish goo. Not sure if it was pus reforming or just eye gunk from the trauma. It wasn't much but I don't want to let anything reestablish. Either way I flushed her eye again, wiped out the small amount of gunk and reapplied salve. I am just watching her.
I'm so glad @azygous was able to come and save the day (as she often does)! I hope it continues to heal!

Both of you have been superb support and help. I am going to follow through with this thread until she fully recovers. Thank you both so much!

Back
Top Bottom