Chicken Bonding

usmchomesteader

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Among numerous critters, I have two large, mixed breed goats and a large Rhode Island Red (Henry III) rooster running free. The rooster has bonded with the goats and spends a lot of time in the goat pen. On several occasions I have watched him jump up on top of one of the goats early in the morning, give a good crow, and then jump down...the goat just calmly stands there. No photo yet but I'll get one eventually. There is little doubt that they have bonded. The rooster also likes the animal crackers I give the goats with their feed, and if I don't give the rooster one myself, he will take them out of the goat food bowl while they are eating.

Anyone else noticed bonding between chickens and other animals?

Bob P.

yes, my old rooster and my old stallion hang out together
D.gif

I haven't really seen the kind of bonding you describe, but my chickens are always curious about my cats and rabbits. I've often thought that the chickens could bond with them, but the cats and buns won't give the chickens the time of day. It seems that the furry folks here don't see the feathered creatures as worthy of attention. (I will also add that the rabbits often approach the cats, as if they want more of a relationship, but the cats pretty much live up to the standoffish feline stereotype.)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom