rooster keeps having what I think is a seizer

hobby homestead

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2024
canada Alberta
I have a rooster a copper Maran rooster to be on point he's not that young but almost a yr old but I just work on a lil farm and I saw he looked lathargic and tired and couldn't stand still or hold his balance I picked him up for a while and got him a warm epson salt bin to dip his feet in bc I've heard it really helps chickens and he stood in it for a while he did good and I fed him some rice because he looked starving and felt like there was nothing to him and he ate a bit but I realized he couldn't tear the spinach I tried giving him and I gave him a piece and he struggled to get it down so I was planing on bring him back home bc I just work on the farm and I put him down for maybe like 7 min and he started flaming his wing and freaking out no noise but his neck was like snaped back and I ran over and picked him up I thought he died right there because he was so stiff and not breathing I held him and pet him to try and comfort him and I couldn't accept his death and tried to give him mouth to mouth thought it couldn't hurt and so I did and he started moving his eyes and his head but ik dead chickens sill twitch so I just kept praying and doing mouth to mouth and he woke up kinda inna freak out and then just went right to sleep in my arms he couldn't hold himself up or his head so I had to and then I eventually got him in the car with some heat (im in Canada Alberta so its cold here) thought the warmth wouldn't hurt and he stood pretty good after a while and we got him back home and he just rested I fed him a blended up apple and strawberry and some yogurt and goat him vitamin water and some very small cut greens bc he can't eat full stuff on his own, he's had 3 "seizers" since we brought him home I kinda feel like If Im not there to grab him and hold his head up hell die bc he goes stiff and stopes breathing till I hold his head up he's with me 24/7 and im 100% sure he had mites and I've gave him ivermecton to kill the ones im him and I lathered him in coconut oil he's bit to go have a bath and re apply the coconut oil . id love any info if anyone knows how to get rid of mites fast over looked everything up and will try them but im alway open for help and info if anyone ever every had this happen im sure those mites have ate him to death I just brought him back and he's really fighting for life

What's his diet, if you know?
Holding and petting him makes it harder for him to breathe, so I can't recommend doing that. Giving a stressed bird a bath can push them over the edge, it's best no to do it unless necessary.
Please don't ever give a chicken mouth to mouth, too many diseases.
If ge has a parasite issue, those can cause vitamin and nutrition deficiency.
You're options may be limited in Canada.
Please note, you need to be 15 or have parental/guardian oversight to be on byc. :]

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, but sorry to hear about your rooster. Was he raised on regular chicken feed? Do you have other chickens?
For mites, permethrin dust. I like Gardstar Garden and Poultry dust, they have it at Tractor Supply if you have one of those.
He may not survive, but it sounds like you are doing all you can to make him comfortable…..
be sure to update us, and good luck …..

Last edited:
What's his diet, if you know?
Holding and petting him makes it harder for him to breathe, so I can't recommend doing that. Giving a stressed bird a bath can push them over the edge, it's best no to do it unless necessary.
Please don't ever give a chicken mouth to mouth, too many diseases.
If ge has a parasite issue, those can cause vitamin and nutrition deficiency.
You're options may be limited in Canada.
Please note, you need to be 15 or have parental/guardian oversight to be on byc. :]
his diet is wheat and fish in winter with other grains
I agree with the holding them stresses them out but ik if there stressed and when there relaxed Ive been with him for 4 days and whenever I pick him up to give him his medicine he just nuggets down and rest, im very intone with animals and I see when there stressed but thank you for the concern and he breaths great when I hold him and massage his crop a bit I've gave him ivermectin and it should kill anything in him that's causing his issues and his breathing will get raspy before he gets better he's just working that bad stuff out and baths really relax him and help him get clean he can't do much on his own besides eat blended strawberries and chick peas and I cut greens very small for him bc he can't swallow anything bigger than his mouth and im well aware of the mouth to mouth being risky but im a big animal carer and ill do anything for my animals and mites can't hurt humans they may bite but they feed of of birds blood so they will move on from me if I have any and the 4 days I been with him I haven't noticed any on me or biting me and I've been in his feathers and cut a few out bc they were infested with mites and I lathered him in coconut oil and tomorrow ima get a mosquito and tick spray for horses and dip him in a bath with it I found a lot of people get good results with it after trying everything before it so yeah also im almost 18 but sorry if I text like a 15 yr old I kinda type fast anddd I have him on vitamins in his food and water to boost his system a bit but yeah well see how tonight goes

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, but sorry to hear about your rooster. Was he raised on regular chicken feed? Do you have other chickens?
For mites, pernathrin dust. I like Gardstar Garden and Poultry dust, they have it at Tractor Supply if you have one of those.
He may not survive, but it sounds like you are doing all you can to make him comfortable…..
be sure to update us, and good luck …..
thank you, and yes he was raised on normal food and he had lots of birds growing with him I just work on a little farm and I care for the birds mostly but its my farmers first time with this many chickens and ducks and Canadas winters arnt too nice and he's just a single guy with too many birds Im sad he got too many to actually deal with I can deal with them because I would do anything for them and I want them to have the best life but winters been rough I dont live out there so I can't see them everyday sadly it breaks my heart I have 2 African geese and I raised them sine they were just a day old I feel like a mother and her children are getting treated shitty but I can only do so much for winter, my farmer doesn't have a water source near so he always drove water and filled tanks but they get way less in winter and its cold and I go out less during winter because they bad roads and weather anyways said too much but im praying he will make it he really wants to live and he's such a sweet rooster normally there so mean but thank you for caring and I will keep you updated

Back
Top Bottom