Chicken botulism

xitaa

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Does any one have any experience with chicken botulism? I have a 2 year old banty rooster who has been diagnosed with botulism by the vet. We seem to have beaten the acute illness but he is still having trouble walking. I am feeding him baby parrot cereal, Insure and Pedialyte(vet instructions) and he is doing much better. But he is having muscle problems. Thank you, Robin Egg:/
hmm.png
sad.png

Quote:
Botulism is from toxic mold. Often the mold grows on grains(ie: wheat, corn, etc). That is why you don't want any chicken feed to stay damp and get molded.

If you catch it early you can do a quick system flush. 1 teaspoon of epson salt dissolved into 1 ounce of water. Put 2-8 CC into the crop of the bird depending on size. A few hours later give a couple CC of molasses. Start them on vitamin water and any food that they will eat.

I had a group of chicks get into some hidden molded food a couple years ago. I lost 3, but managed to save the other 7.

A chick recovers faster then an adult. They also die faster from it if you don't catch it in time.

An adult can take several weeks to fully recover. Just keep them eating, drinking, and safe. Some never fully 100% recover, it just depends on how much damage was done.

Matt

Thank you for the replies. They help. None of our other 12 chickens developed any kind of illness. Because of the symptoms and because we have a clean back yard, our chicken vet thinks perhaps he pecked at a dead baby bird? a dead mouse?. We are fortunate to have both a commercial chicken vet and an expert on parrots in our town, and they have both been really helpful, we will keep on with the exercize and the baby parrot cereal and all the chicken feed he will eat. He does feel much better and has really returned to his regular personality. He is one of our lap chickens, so he is living in our kitchen in a pet carrier.
hmm.png

xitaa,
My chicken is having the same issue. could you tell me the dosage of baby parrot cereal, Insure and Pedialyte they are supposed to receive? Thank you

I think 2 of my chickens have come down with symptoms of botulism. They look exactly like the pictures, i've seen on line. I did not realize that my water had leaked in the bedding and I keep it next to the food,till I noticed a sour smell in my coop. I think this may be where they got some modly food. I am new to raising chickens and had no Idea this could happen. I daily take reallly good care of them. My hen seems to be pulling thru , but now I have a rooster having the same symptoms. Feeling bad!!!!!!

Do you know if the eggs will be safe the birds are only 11 weeks old? Any advice

Back
Top Bottom