Chicken breathing weird

DorisandVicious

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
One hen seems to be breathing with mouth slightly open. She does not lay eggs but she is healthy as she eats and drinks normally and she walks around. I have just noticed that when she is breathing her beak opens very slightly every breath she takes. I'm not sure if this is normal but it seems as though the other hens don't do it so wanted to check if she was ok? I am putting some of the global herbs project breathe free ointment in her water soon so that might clear it up.

There isn't much noise but she occasionally sneezes. I think she has a blocked nose which is probably the reason she is breathing through her mouth. She hasn't laid eggs for about 6 months now because she's an ex-bat so her comb is pale but she is eating and drinking normally and her droppings are the right colour (just very small though). Hoping the breathe free ointment will work. Just wondered if there's anything you can do to help her in the mean time? Thanks

She's ok she's been having some oats mixed with water which she seems to enjoy as i was worried she wasn't drinking enough fluids. She still shows an interest in eating and her droppings are normal just very small. I'm just not sure what her illness is most likely to be?

She's ok she's been having some oats mixed with water which she seems to enjoy as i was worried she wasn't drinking enough fluids. She still shows an interest in eating and her droppings are normal just very small. I'm just not sure what her illness is most likely to be?
Honestly, she could’ve inhaled something that her respiratory system didn’t like, but I could be wrong also. The symptoms you’re describing kind of points me to maybe Aspergillosis or Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV). Tho, the only way you’ll know what she has 100% is getting her tested. If you’re in the USA, I highly suggest you call your states veterinarian for direction, help and testing prices.

Thanks for your help. It seems she may be overweight due to not being able to exercise in the winter. Is there any way we can help her lose weight in order to stop this breathing problem? She remains quite sedentary during the day but she still eats and drinks. We have reduced their treats and instead offer them oats and water to help battle the cold weather. Is there anything we can do to help?

Thanks for your help. It seems she may be overweight due to not being able to exercise in the winter. Is there any way we can help her lose weight in order to stop this breathing problem? She remains quite sedentary during the day but she still eats and drinks. We have reduced their treats and instead offer them oats and water to help battle the cold weather. Is there anything we can do to help?
Exercise and giving her smaller amounts of food is the only things I can thing of

Back
Top Bottom