Chicken Breed Focus - Araucana

Does anyone know a hatchery or somewhere where I can purchase some true araucanas? My son is looking at breeds for a 4h project. He's thinking either a Phoenix or true araucana. I'm trying to steer him toward the araucanas because I want the blue eggs! Plus they're so darn cute with their feather ear tufts!

Does anyone know a hatchery or somewhere where I can purchase some true araucanas? My son is looking at breeds for a 4h project. He's thinking either a Phoenix or true araucana. I'm trying to steer him toward the araucanas because I want the blue eggs! Plus they're so darn cute with their feather ear tufts!

It will be quite the feat to find show quality araucanas. Has he thought about Ameraucanas?

Yes we discussed ameraucanas (I knew the araucanas would be difficult to find). He said that's what makes them so great! He's also in love with those feather tufts. I want to get him one (actually as many as I can find). He's having sick a great time with the Jersey giant chicks and doing such a great job caring for them (actually both of my boys are) I really want to get him some Araucanas. If you guys could just keep your eyes and ears open.... I'm willing to pay top dollar at this point and will have them over-night shipped to us. I just want to encourage my children to take part in raising animals and knowing where their food comes from. They've done a great job adjusting from "city" life to out here in the country. Thanks in advance!

Rosey516, where did you get them?
My pet chicken.. Day old chicks I have to say they were very healthy.. I just realized I just had to look at invoice lol I got 1 blue americauna, I buff orp, 1 barred rock, 1 Easter egger, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 leg horn and they are just so beautiful and healthy..

@sumi Thank you for doing this breed!!!

Araucanas are hands down my favorite breed... unique, definitely quirky, sociable, great layers, and extremely intelligent...

I have both the large fowl and bantam types and adore them... I started with less than stellar stock but each year I improve them more and more, with help from others...

Apollo is our newest addition and will be the best help for improving our lf flock...

Napoleon and Tank are our stars of our bantam flock...

Beautiful and wonderful breed... :)

Back
Top Bottom