Chicken Breed Focus - Australorp

Pics
One more time.

Yay, it worked. Whew! Here are three of my BA ladies.
Aww.....Michael, they are beautiful!! The hen on the left sure is built like a tank! She is so pretty. The others are just as gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your flock with us! I know it must have been hard to let them go. I am not sure I could let my girls go. But keep us posted on your new flock and definitely take pics along your new adventure! :)

It's with mixed feelings that I post these pics. I sold my entire flock to a friend yesterday in preparation for our move to Alaska and he came and picked them up this morning. It's seems so strange to be chickenless after having had a flock for so long. But I was able to get my daughter to download a couple of pics I took of my Black Australorps into a file and put them on my zip drive so I could post their pics. After struggling a bit to get them posted, here they are. Sorry they are somewhat blurry, but I'm still in the stone age when it comes to this kind of technology. I will definitely get another flock at some point after we move to Alaska.
Michael, it must seem very odd to not have your birds. I know you really enjoyed them and I hope you won't be chickenless for long. Good luck with your move. I'm already looking forward to hearing about your next flock!

Aww.....Michael, they are beautiful!! The hen on the left sure is built like a tank! She is so pretty. The others are just as gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your flock with us! I know it must have been hard to let them go. I am not sure I could let my girls go. But keep us posted on your new flock and definitely take pics along your new adventure! :)

Thanks. I will definitely keep you updated on the date of our move and our adventures in Alaska.

Michael, it must seem very odd to not have your birds. I know you really enjoyed them and I hope you won't be chickenless for long. Good luck with your move. I'm already looking forward to hearing about your next flock!

Thanks, we are already looking forward to getting another flock. My granddaughter, as she always is, is excited about getting some more chicks. :eek:)

How exciting for you!!

Why are y'all moving to Alaska?

MrsB
There were a number of factors involved. First and foremost, we wanted to get out from under our mortgage--something that would have been impossible to do in Hawaii unless we moved into a condominium or town house with no place to have chickens (or anything else). Second, Hawaii has changed at lot since we moved here over 2 decades ago. It used to be that most of our days were trade wind days that kept our temperatures cooler and our humidity down, but in the last few years the wind patterns have changed and we have seen long period of Kona winds which bring in the heat and humidity, which we hate. I'd rather shovel snow any day than deal with heat and humidity. In addition, the Kona winds bring in vog from the big island volcanic eruptions which are causing us to have respiratory problems, especially my son-in-law and granddaughter who both have asthma. Since the second vent opened up in the big island a couple of years ago, the vog has become worse. Some days the air is so hazy with it we can barely see the mountains around us. Another factor is we are sick and tired of the crowds and traffic here. Even though it's only about 15 miles or so from our house to the high school where my son-in-law teaches, it frequently takes him nearly 2 hours to drive from the house to work, and almost another 2 hours to return home; and that's if there are no wrecks between our house and the school. In addition, Hawaii is on the fast track to financial disaster. Taxes continue to climb, many of them implemented to support the rail project which some experts are now estimating will run as much as 19 billion dollars over budget, and take as much as 20 years to complete; and Hawaii's residents are the ones who are having to pick up the tab. And on top of all that, the homeless problem is becoming epidemic in Hawaii with squatters not only taking over the beaches and parks, but even camping out on people's private property. On a couple of occasions we have had to call the police to run squatters off our property. Other states are buying many of these people one way plane tickets to Hawaii and they are coming here because Hawaii has no winters (it's hard to be homeless where it's cold in the winter). I don't mind helping people who are really in need and want to do better, but there is no way we are going to allow them to squat on our property, particularly where it may concern my granddaughter's safety. We have been planning to move for some time; the only question was where. We wanted someplace we can get out from under our mortgage and have a similar size home to the one we have now with considerably more land, someplace where heat and humidity are not a problem, someplace where crowds and traffic are not an issue, someplace with a lot of natural resources and good hunting and fishing, someplace with good clean air to breathe, and somewhere without ridiculously high state taxes. We narrowed our choices down to Alaska and northwest Montana. Since Alaska met all our criteria (even better than Montana), and since we have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and all of us really love it, we decided to sell our place and move to Alaska.

There were a number of factors involved. First and foremost, we wanted to get out from under our mortgage--something that would have been impossible to do in Hawaii unless we moved into a condominium or town house with no place to have chickens (or anything else). Second, Hawaii has changed at lot since we moved here over 2 decades ago. It used to be that most of our days were trade wind days that kept our temperatures cooler and our humidity down, but in the last few years the wind patterns have changed and we have seen long period of Kona winds which bring in the heat and humidity, which we hate. I'd rather shovel snow any day than deal with heat and humidity. In addition, the Kona winds bring in vog from the big island volcanic eruptions which are causing us to have respiratory problems, especially my son-in-law and granddaughter who both have asthma. Since the second vent opened up in the big island a couple of years ago, the vog has become worse. Some days the air is so hazy with it we can barely see the mountains around us. Another factor is we are sick and tired of the crowds and traffic here. Even though it's only about 15 miles or so from our house to the high school where my son-in-law teaches, it frequently takes him nearly 2 hours to drive from the house to work, and almost another 2 hours to return home; and that's if there are no wrecks between our house and the school. In addition, Hawaii is on the fast track to financial disaster. Taxes continue to climb, many of them implemented to support the rail project which some experts are now estimating will run as much as 19 billion dollars over budget, and take as much as 20 years to complete; and Hawaii's residents are the ones who are having to pick up the tab. And on top of all that, the homeless problem is becoming epidemic in Hawaii with squatters not only taking over the beaches and parks, but even camping out on people's private property. On a couple of occasions we have had to call the police to run squatters off our property. Other states are buying many of these people one way plane tickets to Hawaii and they are coming here because Hawaii has no winters (it's hard to be homeless where it's cold in the winter). I don't mind helping people who are really in need and want to do better, but there is no way we are going to allow them to squat on our property, particularly where it may concern my granddaughter's safety. We have been planning to move for some time; the only question was where. We wanted someplace we can get out from under our mortgage and have a similar size home to the one we have now with considerably more land, someplace where heat and humidity are not a problem, someplace where crowds and traffic are not an issue, someplace with a lot of natural resources and good hunting and fishing, someplace with good clean air to breathe, and somewhere without ridiculously high state taxes. We narrowed our choices down to Alaska and northwest Montana. Since Alaska met all our criteria (even better than Montana), and since we have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and all of us really love it, we decided to sell our place and move to Alaska.

That's a shame what they're doing. :(

Glad you found what you were looking for. I look forward to your updates.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom